Votes: 211 38.0%
  • 11-13lbs

Votes: 160 28.8%
  • 13-15lbs

Votes: 73 13.2%
  • over 15lbs

Votes: 37 6.7%

• Total voters
My LR rifle weighs in at 13.5 scoped. It is as much weight as I want to carry in the high mountains where I hunt.
I have envisioned another rifle, similar to my Cooper varmint rifle, or the Remmy Sendero, as an ideal LR carry rifle. My Cooper runs 10.5 lbs scoped with an IOR 6-24x50, according to the bathroom scale.
My current carry rifle is an Allen Precision that runs about 8 lbs scope with a NF 2.5-10. It has been shooting minute of marmot as far as 600 yards this fall.
Yesterday I was shooting it at 842 yards, and it was still shooting sub-moa. There may be no need for my custom Sendero after all... I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Well, that is good for the pocket book but not so much for the gun collection! :D

What cartridge is your Allen precision?

Scot E.

You're right Scot E.
I have about shot the barrel out of the Cooper, and expect to rebarrel it this summer. It is currently a 22-250, and I have been debating staying with this caliber and a fast twist barrel, or going to the 6XC. My preference would be another 22-250 AND a 6.5-284 in the custom Sendero type. **** back surgery is using up all my new gun budget for the next year or two.

The Allen Precision is a 270 WSM.

I'm at 14 pounds 3 ounces, so far with my build. Though that depends on if you count ammo or not.
  • 171.2 oz Gun: Savage 110 FCP HS-Precision .338 Lapua Magnum, part 19481
  • 23.0 oz Scope: Vortex Viper PST 10-24x50 FFP w/ EBR-1 MOA reticle, part PST-624F1-A
  • 4.8 oz Rings: EGW Heavy Duty 30mm Tactical 7075-T6 Aluminum Matched pair, part 61100
  • -0.3 oz* Rail: EGW Heavy Duty 7075-T6 Aluminum 20 MOA rail, part 80332
  • 13 oz BiPod: Harris 9-13" swivel bipod, part HBL-S
  • 8.2 oz MonPod: **Accu-Shot Precision Monopod - mid-range locking QK02 knob, part BT05
  • 0.43 oz Butler Creek Flip-Open Ocular Lens Cover - 40.8mm, size 14, MO20140
  • 0.54 oz Butler Creek Flip-Open Objective Lens Cover - 58.7mm, size 43, 30430
  • ~6.0 oz ***Slogan Long Magnum HD Firearm Sling, part 023483
*This was the difference from replacing the standard 20MOA EGW rail that came with the 110 FCP HSP and upgrading to the HD rail

**I have not ordered this yet, as I am waiting to see what heighth is best, if anything it may be one of the shorter models

***I have not ordered this yet, as I am still on the fence on slings, but this is what I am leaning towards
Total - 226.87 ounces or 14 pounds 2.87 ounces

Course this doesn't count any rounds that I might have in the magazine. At 726.6 grains each times 5 rounds, I may have another 3,633 grains to carry or another 8.304 ounces (~ 1/2 pound); but hey, who's counting ;-)

I'm also looking into the NightForce ADI (Angle Degree Indicator) with mount, part A121; but not sure yet. Still looking around on this. I may just use my rangefinders built in.

PantherCreek,
Think about using an Eberlestock pack instead of a sling. My 13.5 lb long-ranger quickly becomes a drag to carry with a sling, but my Eberlestock Gunrunner, bought here from the LRH store, is a nice day pack and carries the rifle nicely. It is pretty quick to get the rifle out too.
I have a new ACI I need to sell, if you're interested.

PantherCreek,
Think about using an Eberlestock pack instead of a sling. My 13.5 lb long-ranger quickly becomes a drag to carry with a sling, but my Eberlestock Gunrunner, bought here from the LRH store, is a nice day pack and carries the rifle nicely. It is pretty quick to get the rifle out too.
I have a new ACI I need to sell, if you're interested.
Ditto. Anything over 10lbs is going to wear on you if you are traversing rough terrain like where most of the big game is.

I like a 12 poundish rifle. Its been my experience that shots past 800 yrds on game can be tricky with any gun and caliber unless you have practiced a lot. I won't take a shot past 800 yrds on game so that allows me to use smaller calibers and go with lighter rifles. I feel anything under 9.5 lbs is just too light unless you are only shooting out to 300 yrds or so. All these big huge magnum cartridges I feel are overkill and a good shot placement is the most important thing. Just my 2 cents...

I've been shooting an 8 lb scoped rifle with minute of marmot accuracy out to 600 yards this summer. Even a factory light weight is good to 300 yards.

I just picked up my LR rig and it come in at 18lbs. That is gun, scope, and rings.

That's a lot of gun. Do you carry it anywhere to hunt?
I use my"heavy" rifle - 13.5 lbs - primarily to hunt long range 'chucks. It gets packed around in a Eberlestock day pack, but it goes a few miles each way, usually starting around 11,000' and ending up somewhere around 12,500' elevation.
At 53 years old, even this is getting a bit heavy, on top of the weight of the other shooting tools, lunch, and gore tex rain suit that goes along.

Let's see pix of that bad boy!

Here's a pic

Attachments

• 12-10-12 395.jpg
    12-10-12 395.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 63
I just picked up my LR rig and it come in at 18lbs. That is gun, scope, and rings.

My big girl comes in @ 17.2 lbs.

Goal is to make it Idaho legal with only a little bit of argument w/the fish cops.:)

Dickering w/Ryan @ McMillan for another stock in reduced weight.

I'm learning there are great ways to reduce stock weight and keep the A5 form factor.

My moulded in color A5 weights 3.55 pounds.

The A5 can be had painted at 2.5 Lbs.

With their Edge technology the A5 can be had at around 1.4 Lbs.

I need at least a reduction of 2 pounds and will see how much $ difference to loose the other pound.

Loosing weight is getting costly.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.