Votes: 211 38.0%
  • 11-13lbs

Votes: 160 28.8%
  • 13-15lbs

Votes: 73 13.2%
  • over 15lbs

Votes: 37 6.7%

• Total voters
COBrad sorry I didn't see that had asked a question. I live in Arkansas at around 250 ft elevation, it is flat here so I just carry it on my shoulder. I usually find a perch on a reservoir levee and watch fields and the edge of the woods. I have only carried it about a mile so far and it wasn't to bad. I would not want to carry it in the mountains without a pack of some kind.

Len has or at least had a sponsor that made a double shouldered rifle sling similar to that which biathletes carry their weapons on the shooting/skiing competitions which looked to be ideal for those that wish to carry the "heavy guns" in the field. I did some looking but can't find them any more.

Might be worth buzzing Len and asking him if he doesn't see this post and chime in.

Here you go. We sell them in the LRH Store. I use mine every time I am out in the field.

Double Shoulder Sling

Attachments

• sling.jpg
    sling.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 68
For those that do use a pack, the best option I have found is the kifaru gun bearer system. They make a universal gun bearer that will fit any pack. They are really comfortable and secure while allowing immediate access to you gun if needed.

Holsters

Scot E.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Kifaru rig wouldn't work for me at all and I can see how it would be a real pain with a long heavy gun.

The thing that strikes me about it right off is that if you should trip/stumble and fall forward your muzzle is heading straight for the dirt.

Having the muzzle out in front of my face would just flat drive me nuts as well obscuring my vision.

I think I'd much prefer the Eberlestock system over that either with the side scabbard or scabbard centered on your back inside the pack.

I thought the same thing about the Kifaru.
I had planned on using one of Len's double shoulder sling along with a fanny pack, but I usually carry a day pack, and I really like the rifle in the center of my back. The Eberlestock Gunrunner I got on the LRH store, works great.

Ya, I guess it depends on how you hunt. If you hunt with a pack like I do I don't want to have additional shoulder straps to mess with. I already have my bino straps and adding a 3rd set is too much and uncomfortable.

For long treks, packing a rifle in a pack is the best way as far as comfort and security goes but you better not need to get off a quick shot.

Where this option works well is once you are getting close to your location or if you do need to do some stalking. Then the gun is ready for quick action but you don't have to carry all the weight and tire out your arms and shoulders. You hardly know the gun is there.

You can adjust the straps to change where it points. If you fall your gun can be in trouble in just about any position so I am not sure that is a real negative. Just don't fall and you won't have to worry about it. :D The only way your crown is heading for the dirt is if you are falling on your head. Maybe I am lucky, I haven't fallen at all while hunting, let alone a fall where my head was going to be the first to impact! :) It is far better than a standard sling in that regard though as it can't fly off your shoulder and land who knows where as you fall. You know right where it will be.

YMMV.

Scot E.

Loaded Sendero 300 RUM w/NF 5.5x22x50 and bipod comes in at just under 13#

Think I'll get a 6-284 put together with the .7 Light Varmint contour to fit in a stnd B&C Medalist for PD's, Yotes and Goats. Estimating about 10 1/2# and hoping for 800-900 yd accuracy... we will see

Just finished a fully loaded RUM and scoped out with bipod level and all the goodies it weights in right at 15.2lbs I am building a second one with a little shorter barrel to see if I can get a Light gun (12.5-13.5lbs)

Len has them now--I bought one and it's the cat's meow--makes carrying my 21# Edge realistic (for a mile or so on relatively flat ground). I thought I had a photo, but no... Just learned Len "threaded in" and upon completing the post I have a suggestion: When strapped in a pack why not sling the rifle to your front? This has worked for me on numerous occasions. I've got those HD cup swivels in my Manners T5A for just that reason.

Last edited:
Just ordered a Sauer 202 in .308 with a short fluted barrel, have also ordre a custome made kevlar fiber stock so with my Meopta scope we get below 8 lb..:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.