Votes: 211 38.0%
  • 11-13lbs

Votes: 160 28.8%
  • 13-15lbs

Votes: 73 13.2%
  • over 15lbs

Votes: 37 6.7%

• Total voters
Really nice Unit, post pics as you move along.

the heaver the better, if you can carry it in.

Thanks . I would not carry this anvil very far at all. From the car to the range line or to a fixed lay up position and that's it. Some of the concept is for basically sleeping on the gun over baits. When it gets dark I take the day scope off and fit the NV . I can't afford , NV at the objective end so the whole day scope has to come off and separate NV goes on . The NV is based on a CCD camera not an image intensifier tube so it is usable during the day to some degree so it would only go on if I knew I was spending a few all nighters in the bush. The good thing about the weight and the adjustable cantilever monopod is the gun stays put well even when you are half asleep on the butt , so when you wake up every now and then to check the bait station it's still looking right at it .
The reason the day scope is a little high is the NV is very bulky and needed a high rail which I had to make to get the right one. However I like the heads up type position as you can see way more around the scope and the turrets better than laying down flat behind a low mounted scope .
This gun is basically orthopaedic as it's been designed to suit me and my idiosyncrasies.
By the way the gun has a name it's called The Sword Fish . I might paint it on the side.

I have a Sinclair and many Harris of all sizes. The Sinclair is sloppy and loose, it looks good, bud needs work. I have had no problems with Harris in 30+ years. I have a 16 Lb 338 Allen Mag XHS, and several other semi customs from 11 to 13 lbs. None shoot like the Allen. The weight really helps.

So far this gun has been interesting as it can be converted from bi-pod to BR front rest quickly and from monopod to BR rear bag .
I have discovered that from the BR bench the verticle is better with the bipod than the BR front rest and the horizontal is better in the BR front rest . Which led me to start looking at why . It's been my experience so far with this gun that the bi-pod skates about from side to side more so that it jumps up and down under recoil . Hence good verticle but wider horizontal and it all reverses around when I change to BR front rest .
I'm still in the research and trial and error phase on this problem. Like it's not a big problem as the total groups size is still good but I would like to eliminate more horizontal using the bi-po and get the group more round . Have not been able to do any prone on the ground at targets yet so that may change things also.
Could be me also . Something I am doing that don't suit this rig when using the bi-pod. Every group so far is sub 1.25 MOA and most sub .75 MOA but when you pur 4 in .2 and then one drops out to the left 1 inch perfectly inline with the center of the group it's annoying . Which makes me suspicious it could be me . However I can't loose sight of the fact that the action has limitations and it's not a match barrel and chamber either. However I still think the bi-pod and attachment is partly to blame as there is that difference of grouping when changing rest systems . One of the drawbacks to multiple platforms is it can get confusing as to where the issue is.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts