Long range hunting comes down to 2 separate things wind and flight time

Moral of the story for me was big heavy sleek bullets driven as fast as possible. Only downside had been needing to buy barrels in a minimum of two pack and powder shortages when using 100+ grain charges....

I don't know.

I think LR hunting has more to do with an accurate rifle/load combo, and more importantly, a knowledgeable and highly skilled shooter (and/or spotter).

.284 195gr EOL @ 2700 MV = 1.8" wind drift , .232s TOF, .010 lag
.224 50gr Match @ 3600 MV = 5.4" wind drift, .197s TOF, .030 lag

Three times the lag time equals three times the wind drift, even though it's only 85% the TOF. Directly related to lag time, yes. Directly related to TOF, no.

This example might be what @Mikecr was alluding to in his comment.
This is what I was thinking, yes.
That it's not as simple as increasing velocity, and lowering TOF.
Thanks for your thoughts on this

I understand what lag time is and how it is calculated, but wind drift is still not DIRECTLY related to TOF even though TOF is part of the lag time equation. You can fire a low BC bullet at a higher velocity for a decreased TOF but an INCREASED lag time due to the lower BC, and that lower BC bullet with a shorter TOF will still have more wind drift. Plugging in numbers from JBM (200 yards, 10mph crosswind):

.284 195gr EOL @ 2700 MV = 1.8" wind drift , .232s TOF, .010 lag
.224 50gr Match @ 3600 MV = 5.4" wind drift, .197s TOF, .030 lag

Three times the lag time equals three times the wind drift, even though it's only 85% the TOF. Directly related to lag time, yes. Directly related to TOF, no.

This example might be what @Mikecr was alluding to in his comment.
I am by no means an expert on this but it is interesting.

What if you plug in 2- bullets of equal diameter and weight, one with a higher BC than the other, the lower BC bullet at 3600 fps MV and the higher BC bullet at 2700 fps MV? Seems like that would be a more apple's to apples comparison but I could be wrong.

The physics will remain the same regardless of bullet diameter. I chose those two bullets simply because the BC's are dramatically different and those are realistic velocities for those bullets. Bullets that are the same diameter and weight aren't going to have such a dramatic BC differential, so we will have to stretch the distance a bit more to see a meaningful difference. We could look at the Speer .308 200gr TBBC @ 3600 vs the Sierra .308 200gr SMK @ 2700 at 400 yards:

Speer TBBC = 10.8" drift, .394 TOF, .061 lag
Sierra SMK = 10.4" drift, .503 TOF, .058 lag

Again, the drift correlates directly to lag time regardless of more than a .1s longer flight time on the SMK.

I just did some calculations on Bergers website.

.284 168g Hunting VLD, MV 2800 fps advertised BC of .316, 600yds, 10mph wind @ 9:00, wind drift 21.6"

.284 168g with a muzzle velocity of 3300 fps would be a .255 BC to have 21.6" wind drift in a 10 mph @ 9:00.

Wouldn't this prove the theory that TOF does have an impact on wind drift or am I missing something?

I just did some calculations on Bergers website.

.284 168g Hunting VLD, MV 2800 fps advertised BC of .316, 600yds, 10mph wind @ 9:00, wind drift 21.6"

.284 168g with a muzzle velocity of 3300 fps would be a .255 BC to have 21.6" wind drift in a 10 mph @ 9:00.

Wouldn't this prove the theory that TOF does have an impact on wind drift or am I missing something?
The devil is in the details. What's the TOF for each of those?

The devil is in the details. What's the TOF for each of those?
Not sure. I am not sure where to find that info. But I would assume (which I don't like doing) that since the BC is higher on the slower moving bullet the only thing that could cancel that out is velocity and decreased TOF. What else could it be? Am I missing something?

Not sure. I am not sure where to find that info. But I would assume (which I don't like doing) that since the BC is higher on the slower moving bullet the only thing that could cancel that out is velocity and decreased TOF. What else could it be? Am I missing something?
It can be found in the app usually. I can try run the numbers and see what it shows. One thing litz talks about is drag and wind deflection at higher velocities recently published an in-depth article about the effects. It is above my pay grade to discuss though

It can be found in the app usually. I can try run the numbers and see what it shows. One thing litz talks about is drag and wind deflection at higher velocities recently published an in-depth article about the effects. It is above my pay grade to discuss though
Above my pay grade too I am just trying to understand how TOF isn't a factor.

.62 vs .74 seconds

It's likely that the lag times are extremely close so you can't see the difference in wind drift within a single decimal place of rounding. In the TBBC vs SMK example above the lag time difference at 400 yards was only .002 seconds even with .173 difference in BC.

To be clear, I'm not saying that wind drift is completely unrelated to TOF, only that they are not DIRECTLY related. In other words, a lower TOF doesn't always mean less wind drift, as I've illustrated in my previous two examples. But a lower lag time WILL result in less wind drift. The equation for lag time is Tlag = TOF (in a vacuum) - TOF (actual). So that's how TOF relates to drift.

Recent Posts