Long range Hammer

I feel the 375-408 is the way to go, I shoot,solids for long range(2800yds),and the sierra game king 300grns up to 1400 yards with good accuracy,also the 350grn solid from Hooker tacticle out shoots the 419grn in 408.:)I also understand that Bruce Bear built a rifle around the Hornady hunting bullet that shot very well I belive the case was a 375-408 improved,this is what i heard.

Yep....I was wrong!!!:D

BUT......................

In my defence (other than being an idiot)....

We now have gone down to "only" 631 BC. Kind of lost that ulta long range, monster bc that the factory round had.

I know, I know.....it is a POOR defence!!

I believe that the GS b.c. #'s are based on a G5 drag coefficient. Plus they will run 100 to 200 fps faster than conventional bullets of same weight. Plug that b.c. into your ballistics program using the G5 drag and see what happens to the drop and drift.

I don't know what the diff is between G1 and G5. I think I will start another thread.

Steve

I also understand that Bruce Bear built a rifle around the Hornady hunting bullet that shot very well I belive the case was a 375-408 improved,this is what i heard.

Baer has built many fine .375-408 rifles, but none that have matched the accuracy of his .338-.408's.

He has never built one around the Hornady hunting bullet, be it the .338 or the .375.

I think the rifle you're referring to is the .338-.408 improved he chambered for me. I shot a 3.806" group at 1,680 yards with the 300SMK.

IMG_11262.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

While firing forming brass on my range I shot several groups of 3" at 750 yds with Joels 338-408 Big Baer. This was on a cold windy February day. Awesome rifle.
Phil.

338-408Chey-Tec003.jpg

338-408Chey-Tec005.jpg

338-408Chey-Tec007.jpg

Last edited:
Yes Joel, that is what i was talking thanks for getting the correct information out.I'm sure the gentleman that started the thread will be impressed and will also appreciate the info.With a group like that who on earth would not be.Also sweet looking rifle. I am in contact with Louis at long range research waiting for a new project he's working on, if it turns out great will also ditto it,if not I will get bruce to do a 338-408imp.again thanks for setting the record straight.:)

if only i didn't have another hobby(fast boats) to suck up my money. some of the rifles you guys are posting make me jealous. i'm leaning towards the 375 AM for my next one, but it's gonna be down the line a little bit

WOW great group and rifle.
Is that a Lawton 8000 action on that rifle? That .338/408 looks like a beast:D. I never considered that caliber. I would like a littel more barrel life then 1000-1500 shots and think the slower and bigger 408 bullet will help in that department.
Also will the heavy 408 bullet not be less effected by winf drift then a lighter 338 bullet?
A group like that is hard to beat! Thanks for posting those awesome pictures.

Cheers,

Master Diver

if you want to shoot stag in scotland make sure they will let you use one in such a potent round. the brits authorities can be quite an *** when coming down to these issues. the 338lapua might already be pushing it and they will not let you shoot them with either the 250 scenar or the 300SMK since they are not expanding bullets by british nomenclature.

i already had such a problem when i enquired on a Red hunt. shooting their Reds at long ranges might also be a no go for many of the professional scottish stalkers that take you on the estate as some are completely ignorant to the long range discipline even though they are great stalkers. you might want to shop around for someone that will let you shoot them at long range and prove yourself on some plates before he allows you to do anything beyond 300m.

I will use a GS Custom HV hunting bullet expanding Copper bullet.
The places I hunt are owned by friends and they let me do anything I want, they are very few rules.

Cheers,

Master Diver

It's a Lawton 8000 repeater action.

Yes, barrel life will be longer with the .408, and yes, the .408 will be less affected by the wind, but.... I can't complain about how this rifle has been shooting.

Your rifle is fantastic, the best gtroup I have ever seen!
I am thinking real hard about getting a 408 or a 375/408 it is one of the two! I am a bit concerned about barrel life, I want this rifle to last for some years.

I found this thread:

SOE Long Range Shoot AAR 375/408 v 408 v 50 BMG -

Cold facts:

375/408 – Elevation setting for 2025 yards – 43.75 MOA from 100 yard zero. Velocity @ 2025 = 1822 fps – 2.50 seconds flight time.

408 CheyTac - Elevation setting for 2025 yards – 64.50 MOA from 100 yard zero. Velocity @ 2025 = 1404 fps – 3.06 seconds flight time.

Cheers,

Master Diver

masterdiver,

Yes the 375 cal. has the best case capacity to bore ratio of all. The 375 will out perform the 408 in some catagories as you seen from the testing done. Most 408's loaded with the 419grn bullet
will see muzzle velocitys around 2800fps. The 375-408 cheytac version with 350gn bullets will see a muzzle velocity of 3100fps. I belive the tests that Dean Mc. was doing was a velocity more around 3000fps. The bullet BC they were testing was a 375cal .945 Cheytac solid. VS a 408cal .945BC 419gn solid. The added speed of the 375cal makes this a more impressive round.
On top of that, any case improvments add to the potencial of the overall case design. In my opinon the 375 on the 408 case is the best for overal performance and barrel life. The 338 version is my favorite but the barrel life will be shorter over either the 375 or 408.

Dave

Well said Dave,I totaly agree.Master diver I feel that for your new long range rifle, you would not be disapointed at all with the 375-408 in performance,barrel lfe or with the componets avaliable.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.