Long range or short range?

baldeagle713

Ok What constitutes a long range shot? Seems to me it would depend on the fire arm and equipment used. A 100 yard shot with a 22 with open sights,seems to me to be a Long range shot. While the same shot with a scoped 247 is almost childs play. You guys think?
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

I think you're right on.
4 years ago I was shooting a 7 rem mag. with a 3-9 scope anything over 350 was a long shot for me then.
Last year I shot a buck with a bow a 35 yards, that was a long shot for me. Every deer before that was no longer than 18 yards.
With a rifle my longest ground hog was 1470 yards, to me that is ultra long range but to some of the other guys on here that's long range.
Last saturday I took a guy along g-hog huntin who never shot a hog before. He shot, with my rifle, a hog at 306 and to him that was very long range. He was hootin and carring on.
I think it's a combination between experience and equipment. But it sure is a whole lot of fun trying to increase your personal best.
Greg

One of my hunting friends has a strategy that I think is applicable to this question.

My buddy like to try to match or complement the weapon to the prey or the style of hunting he wishes to pursue.

For example he would choose a muzzle-loader or Sharps if he were to go on a Bison hunt. This makes the hunt more interesting.

The same principles can be used when long-range hunting. We use scoped target .22 rimfires for hunting gophers out to 200 yards. This is a long shot for a .22 but as mentioned previously it is nothing special when I am using my 6BR.

In that case the 6BR is used for longer shots on gophers or coyotes.

Once we really begin to step out byond 500 yards, the big .30 cals come out. These can be used on gophers, coyotes and deer.

For really long shots, the next step is a .338.

So what you see here is not a strict definition of what is long or not but what is long for the rifle, equipment AND the target.

When I first expressed a desire to hunt deer long-range, a friend suggested I start with a 100 yard deer to get a feel for the hunt. To me this was a completely ludicrous idea because I was used to shooting very small targets like gophers at ranges out to 500 yards and I shot competition out to 1000 yards.

To this guy, with his equipment and shooting experience, 100 yards was a decent range. To me, with my equipment and experience, it wasn't any sort of challenge at all.

I think ultimately we do this type of shooting for the challenge, to make ourselves better marksmen. The degree of difficulty (to borrow a phrase from figure skating) always encompases three factors: Equipment, Target and Range.

Peter Cronhelm

baldeagle713,
excuse me for side tracking your discussion but i just have to ask shootinglong to describe for this longrange beginner his 1470 yard ground shot,
thanks,

dallascolt,
I was set up on a field where the closest shots are around 900 yrds and most shots are between 1200 and 1350. Anyhow, I had just finished shooting 2 hogs in the 1300 range and then he stood up,we tried to guess at what range he was(my range finder doesn't go that far). We decided that he was aprox. 1500. So I dialed in 35.5 moa and let one go.
Shot was high by about a foot so I took a minute out of elevation and let another go.
This just missed to the right,elevation good. By this time the hog had enough of those strange 180gr bee noises and disappeared into his hole. About a half an hour late he returned to investigate. I left him get comfortable and move down into the field and booooom. The end.
(Range determined by moa.)
I used 300 ulta with a hart 30" barrel. 180 gr ballistic tips. Leupold 8.5x25 scope on tapered bases. On bipods. B&L 20-60x80 spotting scope, Lieca 1200 lrf. Hand held wind guage. Spotter named Brian assisted by Phil on binocs.

shootinlong,
thanks for that description of your hunt, i appreciate it. was that a leupold a 8.5-25x50? and what reticle? i guess your satisfied with it?
thanks again,
dallas

dallascolt,
It's 8.5-25x40. The recticle is a fine plex. I am ok with it. It's about six years old. It's elevation turret been up and down 1000's of times and still on. I should have bought a 50mm though. Lower light and 25 power gets a little dim. 20x and down works great early and late.
Greg

shootinlong you're a lucky guy, are those fields near your home? Up here in Berks, the longest we usually can get is 600 or so for skinnys (chucks). Every now and then you find a farm that you can hunt to 800 but haven't tried it yet.

skinny shooter,
I hunt in Tioga county, around my house you can get maybe 500 yards that safe to shoot. I've been going to Tioga for about 20 yrs now. I love to hog hunt so I don't mind the drive too much.(My wife thinks I'm nuts.)
Try that 800 yards. It's a real thrill when you connect for the first time. Let me know how you make out.
Greg

Shootinlong,
Where in York do you hunt for groundhogs? I live in Lancaster and would like to give this a try as I am just getting into long range shooting. But I can not figure out where to go or who to even ask. In addition, I hunt in Tioga county as well. We have a camp just outside of Wellsboro off of Rt. 6. Where in Tioga do you shoot groundhogs? Thanks for your help!!!

7mmMag, I hunt north of Dover and south of Red Lion.(500 yarders are not too common.300-400 are fairly common.) York stinks for getting permission though. It took me years to get the places I've got. Everyone is anti' or paraniod of you getting hurt or breaking something. It's a shame how a few punk hunters can ruin it for everyone. Anyhow, I did find a few more this year thru a pro trapper. Maybe next spring we can hook up.
In Tioga, that's completely different. I hunt north of Mansfield. Up there almost anyone will let you hunt. Some will even let you drive on there field roads.
Hope this helps.
Greg

[ 10-02-2002: Message edited by: shootinlong ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.