Long Range Flat shooter??????

what i meant by the shallow or deep flutes is what I see on factory Savage rifles. their fluting is so shallow I couldnt imagine it removing much wieght or anything benefecial

Dan Lilja's heavy flutes that are on my 270AM are very deep and remove quite a bit of wieght.

take it easy
steve

Thanks a bunch guys for all the help, I am going with the 280AI with a 1-9 twist 5 groove 26" non fluted supermatch Pac-nor Remington varmint contour barrel in a H&S stock. I'll post a report and some pic's when its done! THANKS!

Bearcat,

Good luck with your project! Welcome to the board and have fun searching through the info, I have been doing the same for the past 2 months. I will say though, you just about had a thorough hijacking of your thread.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif not quite though.
As you can see, we have members that don't hesitate to jump right in and go at it... all in a friendly way (most of the time!). Bart B brings up the finer points to barrel construction / fluting, and if you use the search engine and start looking at old posts for info on various things, barrels, cartridges etc., the gold mine of info is there...

Also, I think that I have managed to get the best quality links to gunsmiths / other gun websites than anywhere else... I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at the old posts (some of which have these links to other sites - ala Premier Reticles for scopes, Leupold Custom shop, etc.)

Good luck again and keep us posted...

EZ Shooter

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.