Long Range Elk Rifle

No doubt that a 300 Ultra with a high BC bullet is a performer. I wasn't trying to point out that the 7 mag magically beats bigger magnums that can launch the same weight and design bullet faster. My point was that the 7 mag with a VLD (Swampworks 180 .68 BC, lower than they list) runs right along side the 300 Ultra at extended ranges when the Ultra has the type of ammo the average guy totes around. I think I ran it against a .30cal 180 Partition @ 3300fps and I used my 7 data which is 2950fps with the 180VLD.

Apples to apples, no. But, a 300 ultra shooting a 180 VLD and a 7 mag shooting a 180 VLD wouldn't really be apples to apples for me because eventhough I'm 6'1" 240, big recoil bothers me when I'm trying to precisely place a bullet at 800 yards. If the 300 Ultra was loaded down to 7mag recoil it would rob it of it's advantages.

For me, the 7mag with a 180 VLD has plenty of energy and makes it easier to deliver it to the right spot. Your 240 @ 3KFPS is a great elk round, but it wouldn't work for me because I wouldn't put the range time in with it due to the recoil bunching my skirt up :^)

I am not trying to be a smart a** when i say look into a muzzle brake for the recoil as the ultra mag is a great long range game getter. load a 200 gr accubond, it will have around 100 more ft lb of nock down at 1000 yrds then the 7 rem mag with a 180 gr high coif bullet at 800 yards. and it only gets better as you load it with better bullets. the accubond in the comparison is giving up around .100 coif. Im not trying to knock down the 7 rem, Im just saying at this range the 300 ultra shines.

Last edited:
Did the muzzle brake thing and it's not for me. Besides, if I switched back to something bigger, I would be guilty of fixing something that isn't broke. Did I mention that my second favorite long range elk rifle is a .264 Win mag? Elmer Keith just rolled over.

I was planning on putting a heavy barrel on it along with a muzzle brake. I know there will still be some recoil coming out of the 300 or 338 RUM, but I'm hoping to knock it down some. My buddy had a regular 338 and I only shot it once because it was a cannon and it was setup in a light rifle. I definately am not making that mistake again! I completely understand that there is no recoil with game in your site, but if I can't shoot but around 5 rounds out of it at a time because of the recoil there really isn't much fun in shooting it. This is why I may just do the 300 RUM, but you guys REALLY have me thinking of the 338 RUM....I just wish my wife would hurry up and win powerball and I'd have both :D

Just some food for thought, how much energy does and average arrow have at 40 yards? My opinion favors shot placement more then bullet energy, within reason. Most elk properly shot at long distance never know they have been shot by a human. Some do the coyote dash, but most do not cover much distance giving them time to expire. A big fast bullet that fragments or looses half it's mass, does not kill like a bullet that puts two large holes in the chest cavity. No respiration no brain function. The next issue for a later discussion is getting copper bullets to shoot as well as SMK or Accubonds.

I believe an arrow kills in a completely different fashion than does a bullet, right? An energy comparison between the two is not a good comparison. A comparison between the two is not a good comparison at all, I don't think. Just completely different animals.

It's not just energy. The 338 cal. expanding bullet will typically do more damage going through a big elk than will a smaller caliber bullet. If the point is to put them down fast, and you can accurately shoot the rifle, then go big. If not, shoot what you can shoot accurately--that's more important than shooting big. Edit: or shoot with a brake--alot of folks on the forum do so with excellent results.

Bullet placement is always important no matter what type of bullet it is, how much it weighs, what it's designed to do, the caliber or what it's made of. There are bullets with excellent records that are designed to blow up inside after penetrating a bit (Bergers) and those that are designed to hold together and exit.

Last edited:
Rooster740, nice photo collection of bulls. That Gardiner/Jardine area used to produce alot of them. Many years ago, I was sheep hunting on the Hellroaring Divide and got one of my biggest bulls ever. It looks like you and I quit hunting that area for the same reasons.

Rooster740, nice photo collection of bulls. That Gardiner/Jardine area used to produce alot of them. Many years ago, I was sheep hunting on the Hellroaring Divide and got one of my biggest bulls ever. It looks like you and I quit hunting that area for the same reasons.
Thank you. I still hunt it dang near every day of the season, I just don't kill big bulls anymore. Passed on a bunch of rag horns and a handful of 300-320 bulls, cows eat better. My luck I would dump a 320 bull, and the next day I would see a pig. I just got home from a ride on two new horses in the Gardiner area. Not much for snow and a few cow elk. What a sad deal. To keep this on subject, I did Kill a few more distant rocks today.

Thank you. I still hunt it dang near every day of the season, I just don't kill big bulls anymore. Passed on a bunch of rag horns and a handful of 300-320 bulls, cows eat better. My luck I would dump a 320 bull, and the next day I would see a pig. I just got home from a ride on two new horses in the Gardiner area. Not much for snow and a few cow elk. What a sad deal. To keep this on subject, I did Kill a few more distant rocks today.

My wife shot elk in the Gardiner area years ago--not sure that would happen now. If the OP doesn't mind, give us your impression of what's going on there, or does the first pic in your link tell the whole story?

Hey Rooster: Nice pics!! I saw a bunch of Hank in there, that must mean you are a wild man too. A couple more years and the wolves may have the upper hand in your country. Take care.

I live near cody. The wolves have completely destroyed this country. Rooster has a very good point on hunting rifles. You have got to decide what range you want to be effective at. If you want to go out beyond 650 or so yards get a big cannon 338. If your hunting is inside of 650 yards then the big cannon can be a liability and you are much better served with a shorter lighter easier handling rifle. I have them for all purposes. For elk I have a 338 Gibbs and a 338 winchester that do well out to 600 yards. They are light, easy handling and do not require a muzzle brake. For long range elk I have several big 338's. The 338-378 gets the most work because of the superior velocity allowing me to use mil dots to longer ranges without using clicks whichs helps a lot when you must get on an animal quick. They are all very accurate. It weighs 10 3/4 pounds with a 28" Hart barrel and a mk 5 action. It shoots the 200 ballistic tip at 3600 fps, the 225 accubond at 3450, the 250 AB at 3300 and the 300 matchking almost 3100 fps. Those are the velocities maintaining excellent accuracy.

If you are building an elk rifle then build what is best for elk. Yes they will all kill elk with a well placed shot. But the 338 caliber is by far the best for long range elk and will give you the best odds for a kill. I would not even consider a smaller caliber if I were spending money for a rifle designed for elk hunting.

the first elk I killed was with a 30-06 165 bal tip. broadside shot 200 yds . I fired the first shot at the front shoulder with no response, the second shot it started walking the third it started running, the forth it went behind a tree and didnt come out. I had thought how could I have missed at that range. the elk was dead and two holes thru both shoulders one 4 inches back and one in the rearend. thats why I bought a 338 . when an elk makes contact with a 338 bullet it pays attention. it may not drop in its tracks but you know when its hit.

When hunting big game, shoot somthing big. I love it when a plan comes togather. 338, for when you absolutely have to kill somthing fast.

My vote goes to the 338. Every elk I have ever hit with a 338 took the hit hard. Most were hit so hard that they couldn't walk, even on one that I hit too far back at 582 yards with a 225 accubond, it made for an easy follow up shot. When a perfect good shot is made, all the calibers listed will do the job, but I have had the misfortune of making a few non perfect shots due to high winds, shooter error and have never lost an elk hit in the body. We won't count the two that got front legs blown off due to shooter error. One the other hand, I have seen quite a few elk hit with 30 cals that ran off several hundred yards with good hits. As far as recoil is concerned, my 300 rum doesn't kick with a brake. My 338 ultra still has a pretty good kick to it with a brake, but I am pushing a 225 at 3300.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.