Long range CRF, rigs

shootallday

Anyone out there using a control round feed rifle for long range shooting or hunting. I'm a mauser guy and after I finish my next build I am thinking a lr hunting build would be cool.
I am at the moment trying to get the money together for a 09 Argentine mauser my lgs has, it's sporterized and he's looking for $309, I need a action for the 9.3x62 I want to go with my 7x57AI.

For the lr build maybe I'll see if I can find a fn action, my lgs may have a pre 64 long action soon for $500.

So if anyone is using a crf action please share.

Last edited:
I have built on Mauser 98's, Win Model 70's, Kimber 84M/8400 and CZ 550 Safari.
Most of my builds are switch barrel set-ups and have extended magazines, except the 98 builds, where a 3.5" box was max that I could fit.
My CZ 550 is a single shot chambered for a custom 338-416 Rigby Improved 45°. 32" barrel 1:9" twist.
My custom Win Model 70 Magnum action has a HS-Precision stock and has barrels in 300 Weatherby, 340 Weatherby and 375 Weatherby.
My custom Win Model 70 EW has barrels in 264WM and 338WM.
My custom Kimber 84M has a barrel in 7-08 (factory barrel) and a 6.5x47 Lapua barrel.
My custom Kimber 8400 has a 300WM barrel and a 338WM barrel. It has a 3.6" mag length so I can seat long bullets out there.
So it can be done, it just depends on what you want.
I have a custom Mauser 98 VZ24 Brno action here in 338-06, exhibition grade English walnut cut as a classic English sporter with 25" barrel 1:10" twist, Rechnaegal bottom metal/grip cap/cross bolt, Gentry 3 position safety and Timney trigger.
Not a truly long range gun, but have taken deer beyond 500yrd with it.
The biggest issue running a Mauser is getting a custom stock that suits long range hunting.
The CZ makes a good platform because aftermarket synthetic stocks suited to long range are available.
There are also many CRF custom actions available these days. Look them up.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

I have built on Mauser 98's, Win Model 70's, Kimber 84M/8400 and CZ 550 Safari.
Most of my builds are switch barrel set-ups and have extended magazines, except the 98 builds, where a 3.5" box was max that I could fit.
My CZ 550 is a single shot chambered for a custom 338-416 Rigby Improved 45°. 32" barrel 1:9" twist.
My custom Win Model 70 Magnum action has a HS-Precision stock and has barrels in 300 Weatherby, 340 Weatherby and 375 Weatherby.
My custom Win Model 70 EW has barrels in 264WM and 338WM.
My custom Kimber 84M has a barrel in 7-08 (factory barrel) and a 6.5x47 Lapua barrel.
My custom Kimber 8400 has a 300WM barrel and a 338WM barrel. It has a 3.6" mag length so I can seat long bullets out there.
So it can be done, it just depends on what you want.
I have a custom Mauser 98 VZ24 Brno action here in 338-06, exhibition grade English walnut cut as a classic English sporter with 25" barrel 1:10" twist, Rechnaegal bottom metal/grip cap/cross bolt, Gentry 3 position safety and Timney trigger.
Not a truly long range gun, but have taken deer beyond 500yrd with it.
The biggest issue running a Mauser is getting a custom stock that suits long range hunting.
The CZ makes a good platform because aftermarket synthetic stocks suited to long range are available.
There are also many CRF custom actions available these days. Look them up.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Bunch of nice rifles.

Like MM, I've had new barrels threaded chambered for a SS Classic M70, a couple of Kimbers (84M/84L), and one FN PBR (basically M70 Classic rebadged).

I prefer an action that cocks on opening vs. closing and also has the ability to allow the extractor to snap over the case rim vs. having to feed from the magazine no matter what.

My friend had a 338 Lapua built on a CZ550, McMillan stock, stainless match barrel, Cerakote finish. It's his LR rig, and I've watched him kill a lot of stuff with it over the years.

If your looking for custom options you can get a Defiance action with the 3 position safety and a claw extractor that fits Remington 700 stocks but they are expensive at $1940 for a long action with trigger.

I personally run all three of the actions from American Rifle Company, their Mausingfield action would be the closest to a Mauser as the inventor took inspiration from the Mauser and the Springfield when he designed it. The other two options are the Nucleus which is a less expensive three lug design and the Archimedes which uses a pivoting bolt handle for extraction rather than the cam angle on back of the action like most other designs.

I've been very happy with my 3 actions, my Archimedes is new and unfired but so far I like the feel of it.

mauser 006.JPG

A action that has a locking bolt is very important to me, shame some nice actions out there but no bolt lock, same goes for the nice pushfeed actions.

Most of the 3 position safety conversion shrouds lock the bolt when in the 'furthest back' "safe" position (just like a Win.70). Even the old Buehler safety locks the bolt when in the "safe' position. The Wisner 2 position safety conversion locks the bolt when in the "safe" position. On my own personal Mauser 98 builds I have the receiver re-carburized before I start. There's just too much work involved to have the locking abutments set-back because of poor heat treatment when they were made. Technology has come a long way.

I picked up this nice original m70 a few months back, it's a 270. I've been fighting the Urge to make it a nice 280ai, that would p off the 270 guys lol.

I'd I had the money is probably would have already, not sure to keep it a classic sporter or a modern longer range hunter. Would be cool with a wrapped barrel and a light or carbon stock.
IMG_20210531_111755_hdr.jpg