Long range bullets at close range

I'll make you a bet. I send you a picture of a hammer that didn't open and you send me $100. Want the bet?

Of course you don't…I hold the trump card…errr…picture.

I can't stand people who think they're smarter than everybody else, and think their way is the only way.

Let me know if you want my bet…I'll send the picture and my PayPal.
I said you would loose your bet trying to make a Hammer bullet pencil through anything , not send me a picture of bullet you know no facts of . You would run out of money buying hammer bullets trying to prove a point , and would not be able to pay they bet. Count me out on that bet . It would be a fun challenge.

I said you would loose your bet trying to make a Hammer bullet pencil through anything , not send me a picture of bullet you know no facts of . You would run out of money buying hammer bullets trying to prove a point , and would not be able to pay they bet. Count me out on that bet . It would be a fun challenge.
It's a bullet I saw shot through an animal. Keep backpedalling,,,I knew you wouldn't pay up, but I made my point.

While not a Berger, I used a 7mm Hornady 166 A-Tip on this buck at about 35-40 yds. Bullet went in behind shoulder in the crease, got both lungs and clipped the heart. Left a good sized exit hole and a dead deer at the end of a 30-40 yard good blood trail.

Deer dropped in sight.

Used my 28 Nosler handload at ~3300 fps MV.

Bullet caused significant internal mess to the chest cavity and even relocated one of the ribs from a vertical position to a horizontal position. Even started to disembowel the deer on a broadside shot which did not hit the guts.

Attachments

• 6F76DC8C-615E-4D63-9EE2-AC9EB977B19E.jpeg
    6F76DC8C-615E-4D63-9EE2-AC9EB977B19E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 60
While not a Berger, I used a 7mm Hornady 166 A-Tip on this buck at about 35-40 yds. Bullet went in behind shoulder in the crease, got both lungs and clipped the heart. Left a good sized exit hole and a dead deer at the end of a 30-40 yard good blood trail.

Deer dropped in sight.

Used my 28 Nosler handload at ~3300 fps MV.

Bullet caused significant internal mess to the chest cavity and even relocated one of the ribs from a vertical position to a horizontal position. Even started to disembowel the deer on a broadside shot which did not hit the guts.
I remember the story I think Steve even commented , if I'm not mistaken . What was the conclusion , because I think any one would be hard pressed to see that again even if you intentionally tried . There isn't much I haven't seen when it comes to different bullet terminal performance . It's easy to make a cup and core fail . Just hit a leg bone or shoulder , just like my grand daughter did Saturday . I hunted with her for a reason ,she would have lost her buck , bullet blew up no blood trail ,no exit . I personally shoot better constructed bullets because I want penetration and a exit with a lot of damage in between and that is what I get with Hammer bullets , no matter how close down too 1800 fps impact vel. enough said.

I remember the story I think Steve even commented , if I'm not mistaken . What was the conclusion , because I think any one would be hard pressed to see that again even if you intentionally tried . There isn't much I haven't seen when it comes to different bullet terminal performance . It's easy to make a cup and core fail . Just hit a leg bone or shoulder , just like my grand daughter did Saturday . I hunted with her for a reason ,she would have lost her buck , bullet blew up no blood trail ,no exit . I personally shoot better constructed bullets because I want penetration and a exit with a lot of damage in between and that is what I get with Hammer bullets , no matter how close down too 1800 fps impact vel. enough said.
I would use the bullet again if that helps.

This was a really close shot with a pretty high muzzle velocity. Bullet penetrated completely after hitting at least one bone, leaving a good size exit hole and good short blood trail.

Conclusion? If this bullet was gonna blow up, I would have expected it to on this particular shot due to short range and high MV. It didn't. It worked as good as any other bullet I've ever used.

In fact it had all the attributes you described:
-Complete penetration
-Lots of damage in between
-good blood trail

Here's your shoulder failure. This shoulder failed to work after getting hit with a 180eldm. This buck died quickly, and I got an exit. Blood everywhere. Picture below belongs to this 180.

My wife shot a buck this year with a mono. 225 yards, 7mm Saum, 2700 impact velocity. Shed its petals and had a .284 exit. No blood in or out. Had to shoot it again. I like my stuff to die quickly. Monos kill…eventually.

Attachments

• 00BD19D9-EB18-4E1C-B0EA-81DF605D7801.jpeg
    00BD19D9-EB18-4E1C-B0EA-81DF605D7801.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I shot two bucks under 50 yards with a 28 nosler shooting 195 EOL Bergers at 3030fps. I just aimed behind the shoulder like normal. One made a grapefruit sized exit and the other didn't exit at all. Just grenaded. Both deer went about 30 yards.

DO NOT aim for bone of a close shot with a target bullet.
That's,.. "Not ENOUGH Gun" Bro,.. 30 Yards,.. YIKES !!
Get you,.. a .270 WSM ( they go, 3 Feet,.. straight Down ! ).
The ole' .270 WSM + 140 gr. Bergers is, a "Marriage made in Heaven",.. @ 3, 200 FPS

PS;.. Just Funnin' you !

Last edited:
So what's the experience with hammer hunters from this crowd? I'm loading my first batch of 6.5 Creemoor 124 gr HH for a white tail hunt in west Texas. My experience with Barnes TTSX was poor last year, excellent penetration but minimal expansion at 200 yards from a 7mm-08 on a doe. Took a very long time to find the deer.
It'll be a night and day difference between the two bullets, the Hammer is made to kill and create havock internally and it does a rather good job.

Why would you take such a shot in the first place? Texas heart shot. Just curious. B&C buck?
Wasn't me. It was my good buddy, but the data is still valid. I also wouldn't hesitate to take a facing away shot either at the angle he took it. The buck was on the opposing hillside, so kind of a downward angle into the vitals lengthwise starting at the rear of the spine. Not a straight Texas heart shot.

It's interesting to me to read about so many bullet failures. I've been hunting for 50yrs and haven't had a single failure. Shot critters all over the US and Canada and never experienced a bullet failure. I originally shot Sierra boattail hunting bullets. They often shed their cores but they killed reliably. Switched to Barnes X bullets for a while and was a bit disappointed by how some animals didn't even look like they were hit despite good shot placement, but they were all dead in short order. Long before there was a controversy about "target" vs "hunting" bullets I got hooked on using A-Max bullets for whitetails. An incredibly accurate bullet that occasionally exited but sometimes not. All the deer died quickly, regardless. I shot an antelope at 440yds with a 162 A-Max. Bullet impacted behind the shoulder but the seperated jacket took a right turn and zipped his abdomen open causing his entrails to fall out before he dropped. Moved on to Bergers before they differentiated between target and hunting bullets. Got reliable kills with few exits. Accubonds were my mainstay for some time, and I still use them. They killed deer-elk-moose with equal authority, and I could never understand why some called them "Accubombs".

Lately, I've been using Hammer bullets. While they may solve some of the problems that other shooters have experienced; I use them because they just shoot well and reliably kill critters. I've had a few DRT while others ran a bit with devastating injuries, but the bullets didn't fail to do what they were meant to do.

While I've seen bullets do some wonky things in animals, I can't say that I've ever had one FAIL. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Recent Posts