Long range bullets at close range

Keep using cup and core long enough ,and what you will see is an animal that will run with no blood trail or exit wound , that you may or may not find . A animal can run a long ways dead on its feet. I witnessed that Saturday morning when my granddaughter shot a nice 8 point with a cup and core , she said did I miss ,lucky I was watching the reaction of the deer heart shot , broke shoulder , looked like a grenade went off inside the animal . If she had been hunting by herself it would have been possibly a lost animal absolutely no sign of a hit backtracking from bullet impact. She will be shooting Hammers next year.
And shoot monos long enough and you'll see a pencil with zero expansion. You're complaining because you broke a shoulder and it looked like a grenade went off in the chest cavity?!! 😂

So what's the experience with hammer hunters from this crowd? I'm loading my first batch of 6.5 Creemoor 124 gr HH for a white tail hunt in west Texas. My experience with Barnes TTSX was poor last year, excellent penetration but minimal expansion at 200 yards from a 7mm-08 on a doe. Took a very long time to find the deer.

Well I've seen it and haven't with a cup and core. So now what?

Use your best judgement!

If I were certain that every shot offered, would be a standing, broadside, and I was absolutely certain of a behind the shoulder bullet placement, I too, might consider using a cup and core. As those are not certainties …..I prefer what I consider the best bullets in a bad situation! memtb

Last edited:
So what's the experience with hammer hunters from this crowd? I'm loading my first batch of 6.5 Creemoor 124 gr HH for a white tail hunt in west Texas. My experience with Barnes TTSX was poor last year, excellent penetration but minimal expansion at 200 yards from a 7mm-08 on a doe. Took a very long time to find the deer.
Exactly.

The guys at gunwerks were on back country podcasts last week. They did a podcast on target bullets. Very informative and I agree with most of what was said.

I may be in the minority but I have seen better blood from cup and cores than monos even if the cup and core doesn't pass thru. I'll take one 2" hole over two 1/2" holes any day. This was a 205 EH again and it did exit but that's a blood trail I won't complain about. 66498D8F-0898-4226-8E05-7758423BE16B.png

You won't be disappointed . I shoot the 124 gr in my 6.5 prc they perform the same from point blank to 1800 fps impact velocity. You will get an exit the size of a golf ball with a lot of damage in between entry and exit . They will not pencil through.Don't listen too the naysayers .

Are you serious? How much you want to bet? 🤦🏻‍♂️
I was loading cup and core bullets probably before you shot your first BB gun . If they float your boat , so be it , each too his own l don't care what you shoot . I know what bullet performance I want , so I shoot only Hammer bullets . I know exactly what to expect and so far they have performed flawlessly . You would loose your bet trying to make a Hammer bullet pencil through anything . You simply don't understand or are too closed minded to understand their terminal performance.

I was loading cup and core bullets probably before you shot your first BB gun . If they float your boat , so be it , each too his own l don't care what you shoot . I know what bullet performance I want , so I shoot only Hammer bullets . I know exactly what to expect and so far they have performed flawlessly . You would loose your bet trying to make a Hammer bullet pencil through anything . You simply don't understand or are too closed minded to understand their terminal performance.
I'll make you a bet. I send you a picture of a hammer that didn't open and you send me $100. Want the bet?

Of course you don't…I hold the trump card…errr…picture.

I can't stand people who think they're smarter than everybody else, and think their way is the only way.

Let me know if you want my bet…I'll send the picture and my PayPal.

Not with , Hammer bullets you won't.
Are you serious? How much you want to bet? 🤦🏻‍♂️
I literally have a picture of a penciled through hammer with zero expansion lol. Went in rear spine near tailbone and was lodged in front shoulder. Going away at 100 yards. I'd still shoot them though.

IMG_1090.jpeg