Long-Range AR Systems?

sscoyote

Just thought I'd see what others are using for their longer range setups. I have a 26" 9T upper in 223 AI that I use most of the time for fur hunting. I also use the old DPMS VLD magazine that allows me 2.460" OAL. The bullets that I've used for longer ranges are the 53 V-Max, 69 Nosler and Sierra Match, 65 JLK Low Drag (my favorite for external ballistics--crappy terminal), 65 SGK, and now have mostly settled on the new 69 Sierra TMK--but haven't taken anything beyond 350 with it so far. I prefer short OAL optics and consider 3-9X adequate for 500ish +/- yds. The Burris Timberline Ball. Plex reticle being my favorite, though I'd like to see a 3-9X Leupold/Varmint Hunters reticle (my favorite long-range multi-stadia reticle)--

470 some yd. badger hit 3X in a row using a different optic/53 V-Max--

Here's a pic of one of the nicest dog I've taken in a long time. Has a white-tipped tail--

If I were to do another long-range coyote project though it'd probably be one of Robert Whitley's setups right here-- 6mm AR Home Page. I'm certain this would be much better than what I'm using now.

Love to see the pics and comments of others

I'm running 223/5.56 w/69gr.SMK's over AR comp in a 24" bull upper on a Rock river lower w/ A2 stock, 2 stage NM trigger, 4x18 bushy AR scope. Nothing fancy but it shoots lights out.
Nice badger!

Gene

Zen--it doesn't anymore. The guy who used to make them for DPMS died, and nobody picked it up afterwards. You may find some around here and there, but they're hard to find now.

I am using an older DPMS chambered in 300 SAUM with 175 grain Berger VLDs at about 2750. The gun will usually do 1/2 -3/4 MOA. Problem is I only have access to a 100 meter range to shoot it so no way to see what it will do at 500 and beyond. I would like to put a 24 or 26" barrel on it but have no idea where to get one or a good smith to install it

Really nice set up you have there by the way.

I'm shooting a 204 ruger 40gr v-max over cfe223. 22" X-caliber barrel semi-bull contour, crosshill side charge upper on a JMT 80% lower, generic heavy creepy trigger. Burris Fullfield E-1 with the ballistic reticle. Bought all the parts and assembled it myself was a fun project and I'm very happy with how it shoots, well under 1moa and with a little more load development I think I can get it under .5moa

Sounds like some nice setups guys. Got a buddy who uses an AR-10 243/87 V-Max combination and doin very well to 800 yds. with that setup.

I have loved the idea of the 6mm AR and its variants since I first heard of it. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to building one.

Morning, I use a DPMS upper and rock river lower. malpul (sp) adjustable stock.

26" SS very heavy barrel. Warne Steel rings, Leupold 6x18x50. I bought this

setup 5years ago. the setup was called a varmit sp. this rifle will shoot .250

consistently. I use the 55gr. black nosler new technoglies and barnes 53gr.

fb bullets. 24.5gr. TAC powder, 205M, Winchester brass sighted in 2" high dope the

wind, I dispatch the varmits out to 500yrs. lightbulbgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.