Long Distance setup for a .223 X7VH.

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by 1Hunter, Apr 12, 2013.

  1. 1Hunter

    1Hunter Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    417
    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2011
    This looks like a forum that might get me going in the right direction.

    I have a Marlin .223 X7VH with 26 in a heavy barrel, with a 1 to 9 twist.
    I changed out the plastic stock for a nice maple one.

    I have a 10x40-50 Barska scope mounted on it. Scope has
    a mil-dot reticule and one eight moa tower and windage.

    I am shooting a Sierra 69 grain HPBT Match bullet, pushed by 21.8 grains of
    IMR 3031. I get 1 moa groups at 100 yards.

    The problem:

    I have an abundance of room on the tower. All for short yards
    and very little below center. the minus numbers for long distance.
    Have I got the scope set too high? It's at 1.8 inches high.
     
  2. liltank

    liltank Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,158
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    It's not too high. You may want to go to a 20MOA base rail that will allow you to use less elevation for a 100yd Zero. You'll want to fine tune that load too. You should really be in the .5MOA range for LRH, or competition. .25MOA to be really competitive.

    Tank
     

  3. 1Hunter

    1Hunter Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    417
    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2011
    Thanks Tank,

    A 20 moa base sounds good. The base I'm using came with the rifle from
    the factory. I have no quams at all about replacing it. If I can find one that
    will fit. I'm working on loads, but the shortage of powder is a problem.
    I have some H4895 25gr pushing Sierra 69gr Btsp Match. I plan to shoot
    that monday. Thanks for your input.
     
  4. liltank

    liltank Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,158
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Yep, no problem.
     
  5. 1Hunter

    1Hunter Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    417
    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2011
    I took off the scope and the base. measured the base and it's a 20 moa.

    Sooo I shimmed up the back of the base .1875. That looks a whole lot better.
    Now I've got 7.5 moa on the top and 30 moa on the bottom. Should have
    plenty of window for the long ones.

    I thought maybe the scope was haywire, just goes to show that a little push in the right direction sure helps.