Cartridge selection for long distance

Inukshuk

Inukjuak, Canadian Eastern Arctic 59 parallel
I'll shoot from 100yrds to 1,000yrds and hunt small to large game. I've been checking a few cartridge possibilities but would like your thoughts and experience on them:
Remington-Premier® AccuTip™ or Premier® Scirocco™ Bonded
Federal Nosler Ballistic Tip
Winchester XP3, Supreme® Ballistic Silvertip

Accuracy is important for me as well as the least damage possible.

Go with a 300 RUM with a 26" barrel. It will push the 200grn Nosler Accubond, .588 BC, at 3200+fps. This will make an awesome long range hunting rifle, with excellent killing power, out to 1000 to 1500 yards. Hope this helps.

Wildcat

Wildcat

My question is regarding ammo, not caliber. I already have that. It's a custom built 30-06, bedded and pillared with a total weight of 14 lbs and I shoot up to 1,000 yrds at the moment with Hornady's SST and Interbond light mag's with good results. But am having problems getting the cartridges, so now I needed to know which one of the above would be the best replacement.

I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you're after.

I gather that you don't reload and are looking for factory loaded cartridges that will suit your needs? Correct?

[ QUOTE ]
I'll shoot from 100yrds to 1,000yrds and hunt small to large game. I've been checking a few cartridge possibilities but would like your thoughts and experience on them:
Remington-Premier® AccuTip™ or Premier® Scirocco™ Bonded
Federal Nosler Ballistic Tip
Winchester XP3, Supreme® Ballistic Silvertip

Accuracy is important for me as well as the least damage possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's easy for a factory load to shoot to 1000 yards:

"Federal Nosler Ballistic Tip"

[ QUOTE ]
I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you're after.

I gather that you don't reload and are looking for factory loaded cartridges that will suit your needs? Correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Roy
Notice the ones I mentioned, they're all factory loads.
I've been doing some more research and found out that all that have the word Tip at the end from Federal, Remington, Winchester are for thin skinned game. The Accubond, XP 3, Scirocco, & Interbond are all for heavy thick skin which is where I am headed for. Now all I have to find from a couple of them is the BC and W.Drift at 10mph at 500 yrds. Once I have this info it should give me a better idea on what to choose.

Inukshuk
This may sound crazy, But buy one box of each and let the gun tell you which one it likes! take good notes and then if you need a stronger bullet for your elk hunt you will know what to expect. No one bullet is best for everything and you will have lots to test and good selection of weights for all uses.

CAM

[ QUOTE ]
Inukshuk
This may sound crazy, But buy one box of each and let the gun tell you which one it likes! take good notes and then if you need a stronger bullet for your elk hunt you will know what to expect. No one bullet is best for everything and you will have lots to test and good selection of weights for all uses.

CAM

[/ QUOTE ]

Cam

I agree with you 100%. I have one problem though. I live in the arctic and get ammo once a year, so I sadly can't do that test, so it's as much research as possible and hope for the best. If I lived in the south well hey I'd drop in to a store asap and do lots of testing, But /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Inukshuk
I'm sure someone will have real world data for you.
If we could get all those bou hunters from the states to leave you there leftover bullets you'd be set /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
what do you shoot most big game or small?
how far is your average shot?
what kind of glass is on the gun?
maybe these answers will help get some more answers.

CAM

PS found this site might help you?
http://www.ballisticards.com/crossref.htm
scroll down and compare some drop and wind

pss one more for some comparison
http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics/Ammo_Search.aspx?act=choose&firearm=3&s1=1

Cam

There is no fixed distance here. It's all open space "Tundra" and my prey would be Caribou and bigger. We do have smaller that I hunt but that's not an issue. I checked your first link which is interesting, and your second link I knew of, which the other companies offer as well. I already have all those ballistic info on the cartridges mentioned except a couple more details which I should have soon. Check my signature for my set-up details. Hopefully this research will benefit others as well.
My scope is an IOR Tactical 3-18X42mm, 35mm tube with illum MP8 reticle.
Right now I'm doing .75"groups at 200 yrds with the Hornady SST and Interbond Light mags which I like as a cartridge, but am having problems getting them. That's why I'm checking for a replacement.

Rifle1.jpg

Total weight 14 lbs.

Inukshuk
Bou are easy to kill from what I've seen, it is the bigger that you mention!! Moose, Muskox and bear can be tough!!
Best to stick with a premium bullet.

All the reserch in the world still will not tell you what bullet will shoot best in your rifle!
I have not shot my 06 for 20 years, so I'm not much help to you.
hopefully you can stockup on whats been working and try some new bullets along the way.

The links were just for some quick drop and wind info, sounds like you already had this info.

Have a good summer (both days)!!
CAM

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.