Long action 338 Fed or???

TBuckus

I'm looking at building a 338 Fed. Want something for western Oregon elk, so not concerned about anything over 300yds.
That said, in looking for a used donor rifle, I keep coming across long action rifles.
If I end up with a long action, am I better off building a 338-06 vs a 338 Fed?

I love mine (2) in Kimber's. One was a used Montana and the other classic select I bought brand new for myself when a rough time in life left town. Now if I had a long action model 70 I might consider the 338-06 but then I would want that to be a .280 AI. For your range the Federal really lays the smackdown and starts with a nice big hole! Killed the bear in my avatar with mine. I think I have tried every bullet load combo possible except hammers and I may call for some of those lol.

I'd be looking at the .338-06. I had one in a fairly light rifle, it was extremely accurate and easy on the shoulder. With the .338-06 you'll going to get an extra 200fps. out of it. I think that you ought to be able to get more yardage out of the .338-06. The .338 Federal is a great cartridge too. Presently my go to rifle is a 35 Whelen, wouldn't trade it for anything. The back-up rifle to that is a .358 Winchester, either of these two cartridges are really accurate and "bang-flop" at 300 yards. The .358 Winchester has fallen to the "bad-press" syndrome, it doesn't get the recognition that it ought to get. Most of the press that it out there is that it is a great, short range, brush busting cartridge that has a lot of recoil, not true at all. I am ole school and do laud these older cartridges. I also like the .270 Winchester (just built a .270 Ackley Improved), the .308 Winchester and the 30-06 equally as well. As for long or short actions, if I were building the .338 Federal I would stick with the short action. One of the reasons that I like my .358 Winchester is that it is a short action, easy handling rifle that packs some horsepower. From what I have seen the heavier bullets "might" would not be my choice, I'd stick with the 200/210gr bullets, thus you wouldn't need the long action. IMHO & .02ct worth!

The .338-06 is another one of those oft forgotten cartridges like the .35 Whelen. But for your desired application, it is an actual good choice.

Loaded with the Berger 250 gr. Elite Hunter bullet seated over Hodgdon CFE 223 makes for an exceptional heavy bullet/LA cartridge in the .338-06. This is not a speed demon by any means but it has the impact energy to put an elk down pronto with the right shot placement.

I have both 338 Fed and 338-06. The 338 Fed is what my wife uses for all of her hunting now. She has taken deer with the Barnes 160 grain TTSX and elk with the 185 Barnes TSX. It is a low recoil, high efficiency, cartridge. The velocities you can get with it are impressive. I have taken most of my loads from the Barnes web site. The 338-06 may be the best all around compromise in a hunting rifle, thanks to the range of bullets available and its power to recoil ratio. I use 180 grain Accubonds in mine for most hunting but load the 210 grain Nosler partition when I am in big moose and bear country. The rifle I use is a custom Mauser with a 22 inch Douglas barrel and it is light and handy and a joy to shoot. My wife's rifle is a factory Tikka T3 stainless. Both are capable of excellent accuracy but I wouldn't put either in the long range category. I know my wife wouldn't shoot at anything past 300 yards and I stay within my 500 yard limit and both of those are under ideal conditions.

Seems to me, I was in a similar position a few years back, when I wanted a 338 Federal for some of the thicker hunting areas in NE Wash. woods. I ended up catching a Savage trophy hunter package on sale for around $400. Ended up replacing the scope, will be replacing the stock soon, and eventually putting a different barrel on it. Sort of a build as I go approach. Current set up though shoots the Barnes 185 grain TSX over H4895 more than accurately enough for the ranges I encounter in these woods and I'd suspect similar to the ranges you'd encounter too. I attached my final load testing card and target for the Barnes bullets (46, in top right, 46.5 in middle) for your reference. Well hope if you do end up building 338 Federal you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Attachments

• IMG_2517.JPG
    IMG_2517.JPG
    850 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2690.JPG
    IMG_2690.JPG
    873.6 KB · Views: 234
If you can find a donor LA pretty cheap then it's a no brainer for me, 338-06 provides more potential than the Federal, especially if an opportunity walks out at a range beyond ethical Federal range. Both are easy to shoot and equally accurate. If you need a heavier bullet then the 06 is a better choice. I like the Federal a lot, just like the 06 more.

I wanted to build a short action carry rifle in 338 and decided on the 338 RCM for its additional power in a short action. Mine weights 5.5 pounds without the scope. I also added a muzzle brake for follow up shots, but so far have not needed them.

Using a 200 grain bullet it will push it to 2900 ft/sec (Not over max). and I can use 180 grain loads over 3000 ft/sec. the best I could expect from the Federal with the 200 grain bullet was 2660 ft/sec (Still close to 3150 ft/lbs of energy) But the 338 RCM is a great little powerhouse with close to 4000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.it is very capable of 500+ yard shots and up close it is devastating. I have not seen a big boar hog that took a step after being hit with it.

Just another choice for a short action.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Another vote for .338-06 here! I have a Savage 110 semi-custom in .338-06 that gets hunted with (deer) every year. Shooting the 225gr Speer BTSP on top of H4350 with a speed of 2700 fps. When deer are hit with this they usually do a complete flip before dropping straight down. The energy is awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.