7WSM...long action or short action?

hmbleservant

I'm driving myself crazy contemplating this question! I've heard that short actions are "stiffer" creating a more accurate rifle. How much more accurate are we talking? Also, if I do go short action and practically give up the 180's then do I at least get the full potential of the 168's (VLD's)? In other words can I seat the 168's out as far as I need to to get the full potential of the bullet and still have a gun that feeds reliably? 162 amax?

There are plenty of people going the long action route and I'm not scared that I can make a "bad decision". But what is my best option for a long range hunting rifle (+or- 1000yards)? I figure that the accuracy of my rifle will be the limiting agent here for longest distance that I can ethically take animals (no bigger than texas hillcountry whitetails), so, 168/162's are probably perfect anyway since they are better for wind/elevation/barrel length requirement/recoil/cost than 180's out to 1000-ish, right?

And finally, I have been noticing in all my research that some folks beleive in accuracy nodes for bullets. What are the nodes for these three bullets?

Just an opinion , but I think the 7 WSMs are better suited for the lighter bullets. (150grains
and down because of case capacity).

If I were going to build something for long range using 160+ grain bullets in 7mm I would go
with a 7mm rem mag, 7 STW or even the 7mm RUM for the big fast bullets.

These calibers would require a long action. But the 7 WSM is perfect for a short action.

I have also built them on the Model 7 and the 673(They are shorter than the standard short
action and work very well)

When you use the heaver bullets it does start encroaching on powder capacity.

I have no doubt that they will shoot 1000 yards but velocity will suffer and different conditions
will effect the overall performance of the round.

Go with a short action because of balance and overall length of the rifle (Not the accuracy)
because they are no more accurate than the long actions.

J E CUSTOM

Go with a long action so you can seat the bullet where you want, without cramming it into the case, and still be a repeater without an extended mag box.

They work very well with the heavier bullets when you're able to maximize the amount of powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.