338/06 or 338 Fed.

Waynzee

I'm looking over and trying to decide on a rifle in 338 Federal or a 338/06 cartridge. One of the rifle's I was looking at is a Tikka already chambered in the 338 Fed. The other is a older Savage model 111 in a 30/06 that I would rebarrel and true up the action for the 338/06. What are your thoughts?

I'd want a little more velocity that the 338-06 offers over the 338 Federal.

I've wanted a 338-06 for quite a while now, I'm pretty sure it'll be my next build!

Larger case capacity = more velocity, Ok. Now, a friend of mine just gave me another idea. I'll be hunting in PA. more than anywhere with this rifle so what about rebarreling a older Remington 760 pump. Any thoughts?

shortgrass, any of them calibers would be good. In fact most of my hunting has been done with the "06" in PA. just got a bug for something crazy.

Nothing wrong with wanting something different..I have a 338-06 and I think its great..

As for your idea,rather than rebarreling,have it rebored ..A lot cheaper and in your application just as good.gun)

You can travel over the PA line a shoot something bigger: Elk, Moose, Bison etc. Had an old timers once tell me he had no need for a .458 WM as there were no elephants in his state... Apparently he never heard of jet travel.

I vote for 338/06. Great cartridge for big game. Including African plains game, if you ever get bored with PA deer.

Good luck

Jerry

Either are awesome rounds. I currenlly use a 338 federal. I have used the 338 federal for 5 yrs on everthing from hogs in texas to elk. Never disappointed ever. I love the it still and feel comfortable to 400 yards. Its not a longrange hammer. The 338/06 has entegy advantages but i am completly satisfid with it for close to mid range hunting. I also love the fact that both are not what everyone els is huntingto with
e

The .338/06 is best with 225 thru 250 grain bullets. Forget the light weight stuff as it's a waste of time. Loading manuals more often than not are a joke unless you find a pre-lawyer one. Still if your serious, look no further than a .338/06 improved. 125fps with the bullet weight is serious energy.
gary

well I have a .338-06.was a rem.700 Kevlar mt.rifle in .280 rem.have .custom .270 short mag. so desided to redue .280 which shot good but didn't like pencil barrel.anyway bought shilen .338=06 barrel and had gsmith put barrel on and bed after stock work.what a nice set up with weaver 1.5-6x30mil. used 210 nos.part. but switched to 200gr.accubonds. sub 1" w/24 inch rem.contour barrel. just love rem.700s!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.