loads for 8mm Rem. Mag

huntokanogan

Does anybody out there hand load for a 8mm rem mag? I have one and have just started experimenting with some loads for it. I bought 200 grn. nossler accubond and 220 grn. sierra game king (both boat tails) bullets for it. I have a buddy that advised me to stay with the heavier loads. Is that right? What about 185 grn.?
What powders do you use?

Also i have a .270 that shoots pretty well with standard 130 grn. rem core lokt ammo. What bullets should I play around with in the 270? 140 grn. Berger VDL? accubond?
Thanks

My first one, a factory Remington, lived on H4831 and 220 grain Sierras. Took elk and Namibian plainsgame with it. Still have it but it's pretty well retired for now.

The second one was a Model 70 with a PacNor barrel...it liked Reloader 25 and the discontinued 220 Barnes X. I used it on some more plainsgame and the usual deer and coyotes. The 220 Swift A-Frame worked great also.

I never used any of the lighter bullets, as most are designed for 8x57 speeds and will probably lack penetration on the bigger stuff. But to disassemble coyotes...:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.