30/8mm Rem Mag Question

noexperience

having lost my reloading dies for this cartridge and of course knowing the reloads will only be used in one rifle, can I neck size using a 300 weatherby die? I would think so, given the 30/8 is nothing more than a blown out 300 weatherby, that the die could be adjusted to just size the neck, correct?
thanks

I'm pretty sure the .300 Weatherby is smaller in the shoulder then the 8mm Mag so it would be sizing the shoulder as well as the base of the case.

Sounds similiar to a 308 Baer which Redding makes dies for. Might be something to look into. There are a number of improved 30 cal magnums out there. You should be able to find something off the shelf that will allow you to reload once fired brass.

Personally, I would have a set of custom dies made for it. If the gun isn't worth investing in dies for, then rebarrel it.

Gene

Hornaday .30 cal. neck sizing die. About $27 from Midway.

That is what I have use for mine in addition to a 8mm Mag die to full length size. You can actually buy the .308 seater insert for the 8mm Mag dies from Hornady to do it all.

My .30-8mm just shot a .96" group at 550yds with 210gr Matrix bullets @ 3100fps. I tried Bergers prior to the Matrix bullets and they shot pretty well but not nearly as good as the Matrix. With groups that size and a BC of .752 it's a win win IMO.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.