8MM Rem Mag and .300 H&H brass ...

FEENIX

Seeking hands on experience on which brand/manufacturer to go with. Not looking to complicate this query unnecessarily (because I know someone will go there :D) other than your sound advice/recommendation.

Thank you in advance for your support and understanding. Cheers!

Ed

Seeking hands on experience on which brand/manufacturer to go with. Not looking to complicate this query unnecessarily (because I know someone will go there :D) other than your sound advice/recommendation.

Thank you in advance for your support and understanding. Cheers!

Ed

When I built my self a 7 STW (A long Time ago) there was no brass for it and I used 8mm rem brass to size and fire form it. I started using the 8mm Remington brass because it was readily available.
I also tried the 300 H&H brass in Remington it was more trouble to fire form, but being a belted case also it was fairly easy to do.

I personally preferred the Remington brass then for consistency and durability. (Other brands were ether to soft or nor annealed and the necks would sometimes split after two firings.

When I buy new brass, I always size, trim to length, de burr and weight sort for consistency.

Out of several hundred cases I normally found 4 or 5 that were to far out to use, so I used them for Case length gauges with different bullets and kept them with my dies so they were not wasted.

Some other brands were all over the place and the rejection rate was just to high.

There are probably better brands of brass Now, but availability is still an issue so don't pass up any Remington brass in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

I use 8mm Rem brass to make brass for my 358 STA and seems to do just fine for me. Availability is the biggest problem you will have I think.

+1 on everything JE said.

I've used RP 8mm necked down and necked turned to .313-.314. I've also fireformed from Norma 300 H&H. There is nothing wrong with the H&H stuff but the pockets on RP stuff seem to last longer for me. When I was shooting my STW a lot I was running the 180 VLD around 3100 out of the H&H cases for about 4 firings and about 3140 out of the RP for about 6-7 firings. Both produced good accuracy.

A local guy came to me for some help on fireforming RP 300 H&H a couple years ago. It turned out well but the only step we added was to anneal the cases first. Every now and then one would crack if not. Norma stuff is soft enough that you don't have to do that step.

Personally I would use 375 H&H Winchester brand if you can get it. I've used tons of 8mm mag and the Winchester 375 H&H and 300 H&H brass has always lasted longer for me. The 375 case has less to blow out when fire forming and you'll usually avoid the cracked shoulders and neck because of it. I have 11 guns bases on the 2.85" belted magnum case and have been through my fair share of cases over the years.

I, like everyone else, began using 8mm Remington brass 25 years ago for my first 7 STW. I'm fixing to try necking down the 8mm mag Nosler brass for new Stw, as it was all I could find lately. I still have 200 pieces of new Rem brass (25 year old new) for a fall back. I had good luck with that lot, 8-9 pretty warm reloads before primer pockets started failing. I will be turning necks and annealing both Nosler and Remington after necking to 7mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.