loading tuips for TSX bullets

I worked up a load in my Remington 700 7 Mag LSS with the Tripple shocks. My load is as follows:

Win Brass
IMR 4350-65g
140g Tripple Shock seated .030 off the lands
Fed 215 primer
3230 fps
1/2" groups easy (I have a muzzle break on the rifle and my glass is a 6-24 Burris signature, standard Plex).

One thing for certain, the Barnes tripple shock is an accurate bullet. It does not copper foul like other barnes bullets, and it blows the crap out of anything that you hunt. We have killed a bunch of whitetails with them and they sure make a mess out of the inside of the deer's body cavity. The Barnes tripple shock bullets are truely a great bullet.

how much extra powder are you putting in as Branes state you can go about 2 full gr over max
Iam getting not bad accuracy but not what i woul dhave expected from my rifle as its no factory stick,I get the first 2 shots basicaaly through the same hole and the 3rd seem to jump out of bed,Iam not sure if this is down to heat as i have a light barrel

Ackley, from the grouping you describe, it sounds like barrel movement rather than your load.

If you have the time, why not try a three shot group with five minutes between shots (or whatever time it takes to cool the barrel down) that way you can remove the heat / barrel movement factor from the equation - which is what I suspect. I have had a couple of light profiled barrels do exactly the same - which is why I never spec a light profile anymore!

[ QUOTE ]
Ackley, from the grouping you describe, it sounds like barrel movement rather than your load.

If you have the time, why not try a three shot group with five minutes between shots (or whatever time it takes to cool the barrel down) that way you can remove the heat / barrel movement factor from the equation - which is what I suspect. I have had a couple of light profiled barrels do exactly the same - which is why I never spec a light profile anymore!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats what I thought as the first 2 shots are hole through hole as it should be with my rifle the third sometimes goes through but not always,but at 3248 FPS with a 140 gr bullet and a kreiger 3 medium sporter barrel it does get hot,I think Iam asking a bit much from a lightweight hunting rifle

I also shoot a .300 RUM with 180g TSX, using 96.5g of Retumbo though. I've never had an accuracy problem with them... As stated by many others in the thread they don't have the copper fouling such as past Barnes bullets, and are night and day in comparisions with the others. They have excellent retention and I think any big game hunter will be more than pleased with this bullet! I don't have a chronograph so I can't tell you how fast the bullet is shooting, but I haven't shot anything under a 1.5" group at 200 in quite some time with a stock reciever and barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.