TSX loading

sewwhat89

I want to get an idea for which method most of you have had the best luck with. I load TSXs for my Dad's 270 Weatherby with the BT at the base of the neck junction. I do that because of the huge freebore and the rifle really likes it that way. On the other hand, my brother want me to load him up some 140 gr TSX for his 7RM. Have you had better luck loading the bullets 0.050 or 0.030" off the lands? I have seen/heard both quoted, but I just want to know what those of you using them are doing. If you ended up with another thousandths off, let me know too.

I'm thinking around 71 gr of RL 22 or 67 gr IMR 4831 will be the load used, but I will run ladders with them first to get an idea. If you have a 7RM load, I would appreciate that info too.

Temp insensitive powders are not a problem as I am in East TX, and those are some powders I know he has available so he can load his own up later if he desires.

I don't think anyone can tell you where to start....only your gun. Barnes says start at .050". What I've been doing lately is taking accuracy loads and setting all test bullets to do the same "jump" as the accuracy loads. I think the idea has merit but can't give you a scientific idea why. I've been doing a bunch of work with tsx's in 270wby, 300 win mag, 30-378, and 300 wby in the last few weeks. I'm not finding the stellar accuracy that so many others have been reporting...not bad but not stellar. I have been having really good luck with accubonds. One other thing I can tell you from my work is that I have been getting alot of velocity out of under max loads on the tsx's. Often 100 fps faster than other bullets of the same weight with the same powder charges so I would ask you to be careful as you work up. I can't subscribe to the idea that speed comes without pressure but I would sure love it if someone would do some testing with real pressure testing equipment and see what they find with the tsx's.

I have found in all the 30 cals I have that the TSX shot best at .025 off the lands and gave me excellent accuracy in fact they shot for me as good as or better than the box of SMK's I tried. Also I found that for lighter bullets 168gr for example I got best results using R19. Best of Luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sewwhat 89, Remember with TSXs that as you change seating depth, you are also changing pressure and velocities. You need to balance out all factors with Barnes TSX. Some guns shoot best at .100 or more!

I'm switching to 180 grain TSX for my 300 Win Mag Model 70 Laredo LRH. I get 3000 fps on a starting load of 74.5 grain of IMR 7828. Impact at hundred yards is 3 inches higher than my proven 180 Hornady BTSP load. Accuracy is about the same, half inch 3 shot at 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.