Loading down a 7mm mag

So much for inexpensive 120grns.

I will look for 140s and check out different powders.

gOrdO, would I need to drill my buttstock to use a mercury recoil suppressor?
in a word, no. remove the but plate from your stock, if it is plastic, fiberglass or composite it will be hollow. All that is needed is that you place the suppressor in the butt as far forward as possible and fill the gap with packing peanuts. If your stock is wood then remove the but plate there should be a hole drilled into it (so that you can insert a socket to tighten/remove the stock), measure the diameter of that hole and they will send you a suppressor to fit the hole.
It is just that easy

Thank you to everybody who replied.

The number one thing I am concerned with is a low weight detonation.

I will look into all powders listed. I happened to see Shooters pro shop has 120grn slugs on sale.

Maybe I should purchase some of those and re-work a new powder to be able to shoot my favorite rifle more.

I will also look into the recoil device even with reduced recoil loads.

Thanks to all.

I'm brewed 7mag reduced reloads and they worked fine,used 120gn bullet, never came across a 160 reduced reload recipe , but that don't mean there ain't one out there , Cheers

+1 to H4895 reduced loads. You need to find data and then you can load as low as 60% of max with H4895. A call to Hodgdon would be wise.

Also AA5744 is really good for reduced loads. It takes my 375 RUM practice loads with 300 gr bullet down to 270 Win levels.

As far as ammo for 1000 yd target and steel I d suggest a high BC bullet in a reasonably light weight. Maybe a Berger 140 VLD?? I ve used it in my 7-08 and gotten 1200 yd steel hits. It ll surprise you!

Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.