Loading down a 7mm mag

mtwarych

Ladies and gentlemen,

Due to physical problems I need to load my SS Ruger #1 down in power to be able to shoot it comfortably.

I do not want to put a break on it just because.

As of now I load 63.3 grn H4831sc in Win brass under a 160 grn Nosler Accu-bond and a CCI lrm primer.

As of now I can not shoot a rifle that is powerful enough to shoot long range. I can shoot an AR pattern 308 out a ways but not for hunting.

I have not ventured far from the usual IMR/Hogdon offerings in powders.

Can the forum members recommend a powder that will give me decent case fill percentage and not break my useless crappy shoulder?

My left side is just as bad as my right so that wont work. I would like to stay with a 160ish slug.

I was wondering if I could find a load that did not hurt me but would work for paper or steel at one thousand yards. I will limit myself to 400 yards as a hunting round.

I appreciate all help and after lurking here for a while I feel I can trust the people on this forum not to give stupid dangerous advice.

Thank you in advance. My #1 is my favorite rifle given to me by my family and I would like to be able to shoot this rifle and enjoy it.

IMR 7977 has large grains and burns similarly to H1000... Might even get you some better velocity over the H4831SC.

morning, down size the bullet weight to 120gr. nosler. use a medium load for

a rem. 280. this should help with the recoil problem. there r other 120gr. bullets

u can experiment with and find a accurate field load. good luck.

I use 44special loads in my 44 mag.gun)lightbulb

Quicker propellants with lighter bullets is the key.
H1000,4831,7977 are slower propellants in the spectrum of what is safe in the 7 Mag.

Want less recoil with good killing ability? Mid charge of 4064/4451/4350 with a 140 is the ticket.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Due to physical problems I need to load my SS Ruger #1 down in power to be able to shoot it comfortably.

I do not want to put a break on it just because.

As of now I load 63.3 grn H4831sc in Win brass under a 160 grn Nosler Accu-bond and a CCI lrm primer.

As of now I can not shoot a rifle that is powerful enough to shoot long range. I can shoot an AR pattern 308 out a ways but not for hunting.

I have not ventured far from the usual IMR/Hogdon offerings in powders.

Can the forum members recommend a powder that will give me decent case fill percentage and not break my useless crappy shoulder?

My left side is just as bad as my right so that wont work. I would like to stay with a 160ish slug.

I was wondering if I could find a load that did not hurt me but would work for paper or steel at one thousand yards. I will limit myself to 400 yards as a hunting round.

I appreciate all help and after lurking here for a while I feel I can trust the people on this forum not to give stupid dangerous advice.

Thank you in advance. My #1 is my favorite rifle given to me by my family and I would like to be able to shoot this rifle and enjoy it.

When I wanted to do that I called Sierra because I was using their 120 grain bullets. The tech told me to go with the lowest load of 3031 for a starting load. Then I could back off until I saw a few grains of unburned powder in the barrel. It worked good enough as a practice load.

Quicker propellants with lighter bullets is the key.
H1000,4831,7977 are slower propellants in the spectrum of what is safe in the 7 Mag.

Want less recoil with good killing ability? Mid charge of 4064/4451/4350 with a 140 is the ticket.

agree, 140 berger ; varget, 4064, 4451 or 4350.

I was playing with a recoil calculator last night for my own reasons. I noticed though when playing with the velocity with a specific bullet weight unless you bring the velocity down a bunch(100+fps) you won't see much of a decrease in recoil. I would look a 140gr bullet.

IMR SR 4759 will allow you to shoot your 7 rem mag with greatly reduced loads. I have used it for youth loads in 7-08 and 308.

It may be too slow for your use. Certainly won't work well out to 1000 yds. Should be okay for killing deer out to perhaps 300 yds with a bullet that would open up easily at lower velocities like the Nosler Partition. Perhaps one of the Berger VLDs also might open well at lower velocities.

profile: IMR Powder Profiles: SR 4759

Speer Loading Manual # 9 shows reduced load data for the 7 Rem Mag for 130, 145, 160 and 175 gr bullets. (pgs 213 -215)

Loads:

130 speer spittzer
min 22 gr vel 1721
max 26 gr vel 2028

145 speer spitzer
min 24 gr vel 1764
max 28 gr vel 2055

160 speer spritzer
min 26 gr vel 1738 under 7 ft/lb of recoil with 9 lb rifle
max 30 gr vel 2011

175 Speer mag tip
min 28 gr vel 1793
max 32 gr vel 2045

This powder is bulky and will tend to fill the case. The extruded powder has huge holes in it. Almost looks like little cheerios.

If you donot want to go with a break try MERCURY RECOIL SUPPRESSORS, SUPPRESSORS THAT USE MERCURY, RECOIL REDUCTION, REDUCE RECOIL IN SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES
I have the same problem, love my 7rm, have arthritis and getting old. But, do not want to give it up so I put one of these in my stock and it amazed me just how much it tamed the beast. I did also end up putting on a break (2 years ago). It may just be time to down size to a 308win.
IMR3031 works well in my rifle (7mm rem mag), 145 or 150 grn sp 47.0 grn IMR3031 std primer. It is an accurate load but don't expect high velosities and do expect your barrel to heat up more than you are used to. After all it was not indended for large case capacities.
Since I have both the break and suppressor installed I just stick with IMR7828 and RL22 & 25

Thank you to everybody who replied.

The number one thing I am concerned with is a low weight detonation.

I will look into all powders listed. I happened to see Shooters pro shop has 120grn slugs on sale.

Maybe I should purchase some of those and re-work a new powder to be able to shoot my favorite rifle more.

I will also look into the recoil device even with reduced recoil loads.

Thanks to all.

So much for inexpensive 120grns.

I will look for 140s and check out different powders.

gOrdO, would I need to drill my buttstock to use a mercury recoil suppressor?

Get some blue dot and load whatever bullet you want to 2200 FPS. Play with oal and you will have a half minute load that kicks like a 223. Due to the high bc you'll be able to plink at long range. The only thing is you'll have to tip the gun upward before every shot to get the powder column against the flash hole.

I ran a reduced load for my wife. 120 NBT and 50g of H4895. Worked very well!!

I zeroed this load at 200 yards, and that also gave me a 300 yard zero with the full house 150 NBT load. Worked out well for both of us!!

Tod

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.