Loading down the .300RUM?

big honkin jeep

Does anyone have any data on loading down the .300rum? I know remington offers ammo for this cartridge in 3 power levels now but I cant see paying factory RUM price for -06 performance.(really cant see buying factory stuff at all). Several of my attempts at reduced loads have resulted in hangfires. I'm looking to reduce meat damage, recoil and consumption if possible.I already have a good brake and recoil pad. Thanks BHJ

You need to be careful when working with light loads on these big magnums,loading too light can be more dangerous than loading too hot.You can end up with a secondary explosion,which is bad news!If you want something with considerable less power than your current rifle,get a different gun!I am not trying to be a smart ***,just trying to keep you safe.Good luck.

Yeah I'm aware of the dangers of loading them down. Everyone always seems to want to push their cartridges to the max and it's hard to find anyone who wishes to go the other way. I have quite a few other rifles to work with but I'm currently on a quest with this one.I don't think anyone at remington is willing to let the cat out of the bag on their reduced loads though I haven't asked them yet. BHJ

Ok guys I found some data by calling sierra.lightbulb Man those guys have helped me out more than once. The data uses accurate 5744 and is for 125gr and 165gr bullets If anyone else has any reduced loads I'm all ears.:)
Thanks BHJ

I don't have any direct experience with what you ask, however I've played with other downloaded calibers.

I ran the following report from Quickload for a 26" barrel, Nosler 200gr AB, 2700fps and a load density of at least 90%. I tried first with the 180gr bullet, but it wasn't heavy enough to get good load density and burn %'s. If I where playing with this, I'd try the Retumbo. All of these loads are low pressure, so keep an eye on the necks of your brass for soot marks (black powder residue due to lack of initial expansion). You can usually minimize this by having a good amount of neck tension and very little if any jump to the lands with your bullets.

Again, I have no direct experience with the 300Rum and downloading, so take this info for what it is worth.

AJ

300Rumdownloaded.jpg

Thanks AJ I do have some Retumbo on hand. I'm gonna check with several more powder companies and bullet manufacturers also just to see what they've got as far as reduced load data. I've seen threads on several other forums and it seems that lots of folks wanna know about a good youth rifle. If the load data I got from Sierra works out (a 165gr at 2200fps using 39gr of accurate 5744 or a 125gr at 2660 using 45gr- this data has no start load or max so I was advised not to try anything but as published ) My savage 116 in .300rum might make a pretty good youth rifle from a shoot house.:D
BHJ

Last edited:
The Hodgdon site youth loads suggest loading 60% of max with H4895 for youth loads (saying"its the slowest burning powder that ignites uniformly at reduced charges") but doesn't give load data for this caliber with this powder. Does anyone have a max charge of H4895 for the .300rum? Thanks BHJ

1/16/09 Johan over at Ramshot came through with several reduced loads for me using 5744 for several overbore cartridges:D looks like time to experiment.gun)

Thanks guys BHJ

Last edited:
Lee 2nd edition has good general info on reduced loads and lists some for 300 RUM.
With 180 gn bullet 69.2 gn ACCUR 2700 gives 2840 fps.
72.8 gn IMR4350 gives 2844 fps.
77.8 gn IMR 4831 gives 2827 fps.
64.0 gn A XMR-4064 gives 2741 fps
55.4 gn ACC XMP5744 gives 2726 fps
38.0 gn ACC XMP5744 gives 2111 fps at 28300 psi, that's pretty reduced!!

I have no info on accuracy at the very low load densities.
But for a plinker maybe that isn't too important.

Just a thought but .................. if you shot a very light TSX bullet you would reduce both recoil and bloodshot meat. You could use the minimum suggested loads in the Barnes book without fear of a detonation of some sort.

Just another approach to the problem that you may want to consider.

Thanks for the help guys. I was re reading the section in the first lee manual Modern reloading by Richard Lee and there are some pretty good guidelines for finding suitable powders and calculating reduced loads. Even when I'm plinking accuracy is definitely a consideration. I have a pretty fair variety of powder available so with some experimentation hopefully I can come up with some acceptable results. Any additional info welcome Thanks BHJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.