? 7MM Mag loads ?

kc

I know many of us use or know persons who hunt with a 7MM Mags, do you have a pet load?
My first experence with this dynamic laser was a big surprise, the first Deer I shot was just over 200 yards and I went for the lungs, it just about gutted it. it looked like a soft ball went out the
far side. the deer never knew what hit her. I fear in the future, I may hit a shoulder and destroy a good portion of fine meat.
If you have a good recipe please enclude yours in this post.
All I have is books, but what about bullets?

berger 168 gr. vld. with retumbo are stupid accurate, i load them for my dad, he shot a bull elk last year around 400 yds. performed awesome. i shot them out of my 300 ultra, also killed a bull around 400 yds. the ballistic coefficent is untouchable for a hunting bullet. if you call berger they will email you their entire load data for every caliber. their number is 1-714-447-5456.

Keith I'm sure you are aware of this but our pet loads may not be great for your rifle. That said, it's never a bad thing to ask someone else for starting points. The following combos have done very well in my 7:

150 Btip/IMR 4831
150 Scirocco/IMR 4350
168 VLD/Retumbo or H1000
140 Btip/H4831SC and IMR 7828

2 of the very best powders for the 7mag in general, IMO, are H1000 and IMR7828, neither of which seem to be used by the masses. If I had to, I would be just fine ONLY using H1000 for all of my 7mag needs. I've never been without it in over 20 years.

For my weatherby mark v 7mm rem mag I'm loading :
73 gr Ramshot Magnum with 160 Accubonds.
OAL 3.350" Win cases, fed 215 primers.

KEITH- for years out of my adl i shot 69.5 H4831 and horn 139 (warm). shoots .6-.8 i shot a .112 inch group last time at the range with 69.0 and a 140 accubond. 9.5m primers norma brass. in my sendero i shoot various amount of re-19 and 168's . i am changing to 140 berger and H-4831 in it too. it has a krieger barrel and a break. it shoots every thing good . i found 215s gave higher velocity , pressure and es. i shot a mix of the 9.5m, the 250 and wlrm they all went into the same group.

I have found a warm dose of retumbo and just about any 160 class of bullet with a 215m primer makes little bitty groups. That has worked in a savage, a browing, and a howa. I favor the 162 amax but the retumbo with the 160's class of bullet seems to work.

My pet loads for "my" 7mags are 69.5grs of Win. WXR or Reloader-22 and also 65.3 grs of IMR-4350.Like always work your way up because every rifle is different.The bullets I like are,139gr Hornady Interbond,145gr Speer Grand Slam and 140gr Nosler Accubonds.I've shot bullets up to 150grs with these loads with no pressure signs,but they are on the warm side and for 160's I would reduce at least a couple of grains.I've got a 7STW that I use for the heavier bullets,so I usually load the lighter bullets in the 7mag.

kc,what kind of bullet were you shooting when you gutted that deer?

I've had the 145gr Speer Grand Slams on two occasions hit a deer so hard that it broke the ribs from the breast bone,breaking the hide and the lungs were hanging out,even though the bullet hit midway up the body behind the shoulder.The bullet enter with a 7mm hole and exited with a half dollar hole.Another weird one was I shot a doe behind both shoulders,bullet exited like above and the impact was so great that it broke the scapula on the onside shoulder! Those Grand Slams are hammers,the only thing they lack is good B.C.I think those Deep Curl bullets might be a good one to try in the 7mag.

I do Know it was an 162 A-MAX, I realy like there bullets, I don't remember the amount of powder, to the best of my memory, I was using H-332 or DUPONT IMR-4064.
I do remember I had the best accuracy ever from this combo.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.