Load for 30-06

Sureshot24

I am looking for load data for a 30-06, I will be hunting everything from deer, moose, elk, and bear.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Your question is reeeeeaaally broad. It would be helpful to break it down some. For instance, I would recommend you start with the bullet you might like to shoot. In a 30-06 you have lots of great bullet choices. The bullet that immediately comes to mind is the Berger 168grain Elite Hunter Hybrid. It has a good BC so it will shoot longrange. It's not a heavy bullet so you can shoot it pretty fast.

that's just one bullet thought off the top of my head. Give us some more information to work with. What do you want to hunt? how far to expect to engage your query?

I'm thinking about the 200 grain Berger hybrid for my 30-06. It has a great BC and I should be able to get them to 2600fps maybe a little more, 2700fps would be awesome. If I would use this bullet, it would be with one of the 4350's or Reloader 17.

I picked up a bunch of Berger 30 cal 185s in a trade so worked up and used the load. Getting just over 2,750 out of a 24 inch shilen with 58 grns H4831. Been a fantastic load. Prior to that used the Barnes 165 Triple Shock with 51 grns of 4064, killed several African plains game with this load and would not hesitate to go back to it with the newer Barnes offerings. For this big stuff you can't beat Barnes. For an all around load I would look to the 180 plus range. velocity really seems to fall with the 200 grns stuff.

As always check the books and work up, the 4064 load is fairly hot.

If you can get a 215 Berger to 2600fps it has the most impressive ballistics out of all bullets mentioned.
1000 yards. 2600 fps muzzle velocity.
-31.6 moa
-1529 fps
-1116 ft lbs..
2500 fps muzzle velocity. ( which is very doable.)
34.5 moa
-1460 fps
-1017 ft lbs.
If you are reluctant to use a target bullet Broz has used this bullet to kill big game at all velocity ranges. This bullet is actually a 1000 yard 30-06 deer bullet if one wanted to shoot a 30-06 that far...

As a matter of fact, the 200 hybrid is out. Every time I run the numbers in my calculator, the 215 just impresses me. Even at 2500fps....

Last edited:
If you can get a 215 Berger to 2600fps it has the most impressive ballistics out of all bullets mentioned.
1000 yards. 2600 fps muzzle velocity.
-31.6 moa
-1529 fps
-1116 ft lbs..
2500 fps muzzle velocity. ( which is very doable.)
34.5 moa
-1460 fps
-1017 ft lbs.
If you are reluctant to use a target bullet Broz has used this bullet to kill big game at all velocity ranges. This bullet is actually a 1000 yard 30-06 deer bullet if one wanted to shoot a 30-06 that far...

As a matter of fact, the 200 hybrid is out. Every time I run the numbers in my calculator, the 215 just impresses me. Even at 2500fps....

I fooled with the 215's last season. Pre 64 Model 70 26"Brux barrel. Ended up with 50.8 of Reloader 17 with a proven velocity right at 2600fps.

Took a bull with that load near 400 yards and was not thrilled with the performance of that bullet in the 06 so this season I'm working up a load using the 210gr hunting. This load is Reloader 17 at 53.2 grains which is a warm load with a little primer flatting but quite accurate. Being it is the old Model 70 with the short magazine I just stick with the 3.340 COL and just fiddle with the powder.

I took this load out to 450 yards yesterday (3"group) and will shoot to 800 today. With a 200 yard zero and using a chronograph output of 2675fps the impact group at 450 was 1/2 MOA high. To adjust the come-ups I increased the velocity and now it is around 2700fps. Today at 800 will see if that velocity is right or not using the new come-up's.

One more thing. Two seasons ago took a cow elk using the 190gr Berger at 489 yards and one shot dropped her like a rock. The load is 53.5gr Reloader 17 at 2760fps proven. As you can see I like Reloader 17 in the 06 and I do all of my work-up's in the spring or like now in the fall when the temps are similar to hunting conditions so I don't worry about temp swings with this powder.

It's Savage Axis topped with a Nikon Pro staff 5 2.5-10x40. No farther than 400 yards.
Sureshot24,
Try our 185 grain Classic Hunter Bullet. Its made to be loaded to standard magazine lengths and the combination of the secant (VLD) and tangent (standard) ogives in the nose design make them very tolerant of jump to the lands. Performance on game is the same as our VLD hunting line of bullets and they work at long range also. The 185 should work for everything you have listed you hunt. Especially if the bear is black bear.

Your question is reeeeeaaally broad. It would be helpful to break it down some. For instance, I would recommend you start with the bullet you might like to shoot. In a 30-06 you have lots of great bullet choices. The bullet that immediately comes to mind is the Berger 168grain Elite Hunter Hybrid. It has a good BC so it will shoot longrange. It's not a heavy bullet so you can shoot it pretty fast.

that's just one bullet thought off the top of my head. Give us some more information to work with. What do you want to hunt? how far to expect to engage your query?

Dear Trebark

I'm shooting 175's in my 7rm. 26" Krieger around 2725 FPS. I use 58 grn of RL22. My question is: will I be okay using a large rifle primer instead of the magnum primer.

180 grain nosler partition. Sierra bthp is my second choice. A stiff charge of 4350. If you don't get the accuracy you want then try h-380 or 4064. At normal hunting ranges it is hard to beat a partition for a one bullet can handle everything.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.