30-06 load

bigsky

I have a Remington 30-06 model 700 mountain rifle. This rifle has a very skinny, 22 inch barrel. The rifle is about 20 years old and I have had some work done to it to improve accuracy. I am able to shoot around 1/2 MOA with this rifle. I have loaded 56.6 grains of Reloader 19 at about 2550 fps. I am shooting the Nosler 180 Accubond. The accuracy is there however I was hoping to get closer to 2650/2700 fps. I am sure the 22 inch barrel isn't helping but is there any good ideas on the next best powder to increase velocity but not kill my accuracy. Reloader 22? Or should I just be happy with 2550.
Thanks Huntingbigsky

I have a bdl 700 w/ a 22" barrel. I got my best accuracy w/ a sierra 168bthp match and only 2550 fps w/ IMR 4350. I never loaded 180 grain for it however. If you want a little more range, you may wish to try the 165 grain class of bullets. A 30-06 will get better preformance in my opinion with this weight bullet.

I use win.cases,federal 210 primers and 57.5 grains of H-4350 this should net you 2700+ FPS and very good accuracy.......As always start lower and work up.....
thumb.gif

Huntingbibsky,

I load 57grns IMR 4831 w/ 180grn BT's @ 2750fps. Out of a factory Browning White Gold Medalion. This load has been good for me in other rifles as well.

180's handle everything in Montana, big or small.

Good luck, Steve

Dave,
I sight in at 4" high at 100, drops to 8" low at 300. This equals point on for deer size animals and larger out to 300 yards with out range finding.

Steve

It wouldn't accomplish much more. There is a few inches difference in drop is all. I was hoping to maximize its velocity without compromising accuracy if I could. A little extra BAM! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Huntingbigsky

If the rifle shoots better at 2700 fps than at 2550, then in my small mind, something was accomplished. If you can do it with your rifle why wouldn't you? Matching the most velocity to the best accuracy is what handloading is all about. If the rifle shoots best at 2550, you still have accomplished something. A few inches drop adds up fast though. mtmuley

You asked about load data. If you didn't want other's experiences, then why did you ask? I didn't offer my load to have it critisized. You said you were looking for something faster. I gave you faster and heaver. When I developed this load I stopped when I had accuracy and velocity with out extreme pressure. If things got bad enough I could load this load w/o a scale. Fill to the neck and put a bullet in, it'll work.

Steve

Steve, I did't criticize your loading data, I planned on trying it out. My response was directed to Daves question about why I needed the extra 150 fps. Since I started the thread I thought I should respond. I would like to reach the higher velocity if possible.
Huntingbigsky

Huntingbigsky,

No nead to appoligize. I think I get confused as to who is answering who's statement.

Work up to the load just in case. It should be fine in any modern 30-06. I backed off from the higher pressure when I made the load.

Hope it works well for you.

Steve

P.S.
I,m just a redneck from MT. I have a hard time w/ the computer thing. Can't hear the voice inflection in the typing.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.