Load development? 300rum, 230gr, RL33

@ Tumbleweed

Is your custom throat longer or shorter than a SAMMI throat? From what I gather, it seems like it is longer. If so, what is the reason behind this? The only reason I am curious is because I am thinking about rebarreling my Rem 700 300 RUM and asking the gunsmith for a shorter throat so I am able to reach the lands and still feed it through my box magazine.

Thanks
Total length of the throat area is about .830" and at a diameter of .3084". So yes, much longer that standard. The idea behind this was for max velocity without excessive pressures. The .3084" diameter pretty much eliminates accuracy loss due to a long, sloppy throat. Like I said though, 33 has proven to like an abrupt initial pressure spike for a more consistent burn. Without getting close to the rifling that's hard to do. I did shoot 3 through the chronograph a couple days ago in perfect conditions for using a chronograph. ES was 15 with an SD of 7, velocity averaged 3205 fps. Really no pressure signs. I could run it close to 3300 and still be in a reasonable pressure zone but I'm thinking about barrel and brass life.

Total length of the throat area is about .830" and at a diameter of .3084". So yes, much longer that standard. The idea behind this was for max velocity without excessive pressures. The .3084" diameter pretty much eliminates accuracy loss due to a long, sloppy throat. Like I said though, 33 has proven to like an abrupt initial pressure spike for a more consistent burn. Without getting close to the rifling that's hard to do. I did shoot 3 through the chronograph a couple days ago in perfect conditions for using a chronograph. ES was 15 with an SD of 7, velocity averaged 3205 fps. Really no pressure signs. I could run it close to 3300 and still be in a reasonable pressure zone but I'm thinking about barrel and brass life.

I might have missed it but how far off the lands are you loading? thanks for all the info!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.