300RUM + 230gr OTM

tbrice23

I just ordered some 230gr OTM for a 10 twist 300RUM. I plan on trying Reloder33 first but I also have IMR8133 and H50BMG.
This is for a factory Rem 700 LR. I have a good load (.4 to .6 moa running average 5 shot groups at 200 yards) with RL33 and 200 Accubonds at 3230 fps but this load powder fouls out in about 20 rounds. Tried Dyna Bore Coat but it really didn't help.

Feel free to list your accuracy loads (of course the standard disclaimer "start low" applies).

Also, interested in terminal performance on Elk with this particular bullet.
Thanks.

I use 84.6g retumbo with 230g berger mv 2810. It shoots .25 moa with es of 3 fps when doing development. It has dropped everything in their tracks antelope to bull elk. Shot a bull at 502yds last year. The shot was looking straight on in chest. It destroyed the heart and lungs and left the guts intact. Shots have ranged from 25yds to 707yds.

I use 84.6g retumbo with 230g berger mv 2810. It shoots .25 moa with es of 3 fps when doing development. It has dropped everything in their tracks antelope to bull elk. Shot a bull at 502yds last year. The shot was looking straight on in chest. It destroyed the heart and lungs and left the guts intact. Shots have ranged from 25yds to 707yds.
I had high hopes for Retumbo 300rum, it burned clean but had erratic accuracy, good groups one day then scattered the next time. Gave it a good running chance with 200.20X, 200 AB and 200ELDX.

I used to shoot 180g AB in my last barrel with h1000 but it didn't have the mv with 230's. Where I live, I can be hunting in 70* weather in 1st season and minus 25 in December retumbo has worked well. Plus I shoot a lot in summer for fun and practice.
Hope you find something that works well

I have used this combo for 4 or so years now. 100.5 grains of 33 in a benchmark 28" tube. It is by far one of my favorite guns to shoot. The 230 hits like a truck. I shot a cow at 400. I hit right at the point of the shoulder and she dropped where she stood. Same goes with a big ND whitetail last year. The Berger goes in and leaves all of its energy in the animal. Devastating to say the least.

I have used this combo for 4 or so years now. 100.5 grains of 33 in a benchmark 28" tube. It is by far one of my favorite guns to shoot. The 230 hits like a truck. I shot a cow at 400. I hit right at the point of the shoulder and she dropped where she stood. Same goes with a big ND whitetail last year. The Berger goes in and leaves all of its energy in the animal. Devastating to say the least.
Any idea of you velocity?

I run the 230 at 2,980 fps with 89.9 Retumbo 215M at stock mag length, a 2.5 grain node 88.5-91.0 grains with six shots .5 grain apart gave 1.4" of vertical at 650 yards.
Reloder 33 gave a little more speed but was very dirty and spike pressure above ~90F. If Retumbo didn't work for you my next choice would be N570 if you can find it.

Edit; 26" barrel

Last edited:
So today and yesterday did some testing. Loaded up 6 rounds of 99.8gr to verify next week.
20190428_151615.jpg
shot at 200 yards. These are loaded .057" to the lands at 3.806" that leaves .035" in my magazine.

I have both powders as well as the new R-26 however I am a fan of the Hodgon Extreme powders for a hunting rifle. I have seen 70* swings on a given day up in Alaska. As a hunting rifle, if the load holds at distance when the snow melts, I am done with load development. The 300RUM isn't kind to barrels and I don't need F-class accuracy. Right now 3 shot groups go into a nice 3/8-1/2" hole at 100 yards. I was quite surprised by the velocity of the load and was curious what others were finding. I look forward to verifying the velocity at longer distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.