Lite Barrel for longrange

demo9pro

Hey guys,

Ive got a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .300wsm with a Mark4- 6.5-20

I got it in a lite barrel because I plan on doing a bit of walking with it.

I plan on using it for Long range 600+ yards hunting.

Ive been told it was a stupid decision, so all I want to know is, will this gun be ok? Does anyone use lite barrels for long range hunting? and what is the difference really?

Thanks

How light are you talking? Length and muzzle diameter? The smallest barel contour I even have for long range is a Sendero contour. You can use a lighter one but it won't be as stiff.

I have the same rifle in left hand and synthetic stock and it is definately capable of hitting deer at 700 yards. I haven't done it yet ;), but I'm sure killing the heck out of the paper at 600 lol!

Mine gets most groups in the .5 MOA and ALL groups in the .75 MOA with my best load worked up (5 rds). IMO, you won't see a much more accurate factory rifle out there than the Tikka and Sako. My next long range rifle will be a simi custom job. I use 180 Nosler AB's and H4350 powder pushing to 2915 fps muzzle.

I believe the biggest difference in the barrel thickness is reduction of barrel "wip" while fireing, added weight for steady shooting, and ability to fire more rounds without overheating the barrel. A really thin, really long barrel isn't a good idea, but you aren't going to be shooting more than a couple rounds a time anyway, and the sako barrels are very very good. I borescoped mine when new and it looked as smooth as a Shillen match barrel. However, take what I say w/ a grain of salt because I hunt in MN and most of my shots are under 200 yards, but I could have the occasional shot at up to 800 and I am just trying to get myself to the point of being able to take it ;). Point being, many of the guys on the site do much much much more long range shooting than me.

Last edited:
The thin and long barrel

will easily "whip" and heat and will shift the point of impact. It can be very accurate for 1-2 shots from a cold bore, but to use a spotter and sight the rifle first with 2-3 shots as many long range deer hunters do and "the game may be over".

Peter

I've got two Tikka T3s in 7mm RM. They both shoot well for about three shots, and then the groups will begin to open up on me. I only shoot three shot groups now for that reason. Five shot groups open up in both rifles due to barrel heat. That's been my experience.

I've killed a sheep at 730 yds and a caribou at 850 yds with the Tikka and I think they're a great gun for the money. My 3-shot groups at 300 yards are about 1 5/8" with the best handload I've found to date.

Truthfully, the only way to know is to shoot it. If you reload and work at it a bit, I think you'll be able to find a load that will group better than 0.75" at 100 yards. How much better can only be learned after you put some time in developing loads and shooting. I wouldn't waste time on 5-shot groups. 3-shot groups are plenty. All you'll do is wear out your barrel shooting 5-shot groups and the barrel will heat up and groups will start to expand with anything more than 3 shots in my two Tikkas.

And then how your best reload will perform at 700 yds will have to be determined - again - by shooting at that distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.