Limbsaver recoil pads

400bull

Have any of you ever had this problem with your Limb saver recoil pads? I installed a Limbsaver recoil pad on my wife's Browning A-bolt 243 about 5 years ago. This past fall when I went to get it out of the gun safe I noticed that the recoil pad was becoming tacky (sticky to the touch). I tried cleaning it off with soap and water but that did not seem to help any. It is now sticky enough that the extra peace of carpet that I have in the bottom of my gun case comes out with the rifle. I plan on replacing it with another recoil pad but am not sure if I want to go with a Limbsaver. Any thoughts on what may have caused the pad to become sticky?

400bull

I have sent them two emails aready this week with out a reply back. I'll try giving them a call to see if I can get any answers that way.

400bull

try wiping it down with some type of penatrating oil such as kroil oil. i have installed several of these pads but i have not had this problem. i find that kroil oil removes all types of glue and sticky stuff. i use it to remove sharpe marks and old loading lables from my ammo boxes. i also use Armor all on all my recoil pads, i think it keeps them soft and does not let them dry out. this is just my thought on things. Bear.

Sounds like it has come in contact with some form of alcohol. My wife's steering wheel (Jeep) is doing the same thing and she uses that hand sanitizer all the time. Feels guey and sticky. JohnnyK.

I bought a remington 700 300 ultra mag that had a limbsaver on it from the factory. I called limbsaver and they told me that a batch of the rubber material was mixed wrong and caused the sticky melting look. They sent me a new one no questions asked. Very good customer service. I would just google them and get a number to give em a call.

Have any of you ever had this problem with your Limb saver recoil pads? I installed a Limbsaver recoil pad on my wife's Browning A-bolt 243 about 5 years ago. This past fall when I went to get it out of the gun safe I noticed that the recoil pad was becoming tacky (sticky to the touch). I tried cleaning it off with soap and water but that did not seem to help any. It is now sticky enough that the extra peace of carpet that I have in the bottom of my gun case comes out with the rifle. I plan on replacing it with another recoil pad but am not sure if I want to go with a Limbsaver. Any thoughts on what may have caused the pad to become sticky?

400bull

They are jell filed and if the pad was ground at all to fit it could be leaking .

When fitting a Limbsaver recoil pad to a stock you have to get one that fits perfectly to avoid grinding.

I use the pachmayr Decelerator because it can be ground to fit and is a realy good pad. Also
it comes in 1" or 1/2" thicknesses.

J E CUSTOM

limbsaver does make a grind to fit. All of them that i have seen and taken off while doing stock work I have never came across one that was gel filled. Just the type of rubber it is makes it so soft.

No grinding was done on the pad, the pad was made from the factory to fit the rifle. Simply removed the one from the factory and installed the Limbsaver. Not sure if I want to replace it with another Limbsaver if everyone else is have issues with them also. It's been a great pad but at 35.00 a pop I'm not sure I want to be replacing it every 4-5 years.

400bull

I dont know what year you got your pad but mine i got in 2006. They CS lady that I talked to said there was some crazy number like 800 thousand recoil pads that were affected by the bad batch of rubber that was mixed. I did not even send my old one in to them. I called them and talked to them, gave my address and the next week I had a new one in the mailbox. The number is 1-877-257-2761. I am not the only person I know that had the same problem you have. Abuddy of mine bought 3 or 4 of them that did the same thing. One phone call and they replaced them all for him. Good luck

Just got an email back from Limbsaver

"Our rubber supplier sent us a bad batch of rubber a while back and sounds like you got one of the pad made from it. If you can remove the pad and send it back to me I will match it up and replace it for you. You will need to keep the mounting screws with you though. Include your contact information on the inside of the package."

I'll take the pad of tonight and have it in the mail tomorrow. Time will tell if they have truly resolved the problem or not.

400bull

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.