Lightweight rifle options?

areyoujelen

I am considering building a lightweight rifle that will be capable from 0-500ish. I will be chambering it in a 6.5 or 7mm short magnum type round. While doing some research I have come across many post on here and other sites that suggest using a first generation Remington titanium. If I go that route, I will likely use it as is until accuracy starts dropping off and rebarrel it at that point. My question is if I go that route is the action on the titaniums true? Also, with the Remington titanium being overpriced in most cases will it be any cheaper or any better to go that route vs. completely custom?

I've had Pierce titaniums and they are good actions but.......... Lone Peak Arms Titaniums are in my opinion the very best out there. Great people to deal with and the quality is fantastic. They will be my go to for titanium in the future. I've got a 6.5 Saum build on one currently.

Love them. Currently have two but have had 7-8 so far. Will always have one in the line up. This is my most current one that is build off the Lone Peak Arms action

Attachments

• IMG_2292.jpg
    IMG_2292.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 94
Those are some sweet looking guns man. Do you know what the weight is without the scope? I'm having a hard time deciding where I would like the weight to be. I will be building this keeping sheep, goats, and other backcountry game in mind. I recently went to New Zealand for a stag hunt. My gun with scope was roughly around the 9 to 10 pound mark. I barely knew it was there, but I know it is a completely different story when you are on the side of a mountain.

The titanium is 6lb 9 ounce as it sits in the picture, so rifle only should be right around 5lb 11 ounces.

The carbon barreled one was 6lbs 3 ounces rifle only I believe

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.