Lightweight Packable Self Defense SemiAuto Handgun?

I also carry a Glock 29 - mostly when I am hunting in grizzly territory because I have a glock 42 and 43 for edc.

Assuming its for use while hunting and 4 legged critters of the ursine persuasion are the problem, I would probably go for a glock 20 or 40. Slightly more velocity, more capacity and better handling. Suposedly the Danish sled dog patrols in Greenland carry the 20 for dumping polar bears.

I'm a revolver guy, so unless you're talking big browns I'd say any good 6" .357 or .44mag will cover a lot of territory with excellent reliability. I have yet to see a revolver fail to cycle.

I'm a revolver guy, so unless you're talking big browns I'd say any good 6" .357 or .44mag will cover a lot of territory with excellent reliability. I have yet to see a revolver fail to cycle.

I totally agree, but this isn't for me. I carry a .44 with HSM Bearloads when in Grizz country, but this is for a lady looking for wolf/cat protection and just something new to play with.

Thanks for the reply.

I am a big fan of the 10 mm for semi auto pistols and purchased this on for it's features (Single or double action, good capacity, very good function and feel) you can get ether the polymer or steel frame. (I chose the steel frame).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanfoglio_Force

I have been very happy with the pistol and have not had any malfunctions/misfires.

If the 10 mm is to much I have also had great luck and accuracy with the 9mm Walther
CCP (Concealed Carry Pistol).

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
For wolves or cats I would run any semi auto 9mm that she is comfortable with and a premium 120+/-gr bullet.

I think a Glock 19 or G26 (with extended mag) would be hard to beat with Gold Dots or Federal HST +P ammo.

Heck- a single stack glock with extended (10+ rd) magazine would be great if it fits her well.

If she would be in Bear country I would go up to a 10mm. But Wolves and Cats don't weight anymore than a large two legged A-hole which everyone can agree a 9mm will work just fine on. Plus I think the grip on the large, double stack 10mm would preclude most females just based on grip size.

If a semi-auto isn't on the books then I'd go straight to a SW 640 Pro-- it's stainless steel (helps immensely with recoil), great night sights, incredibly easy to use and will run 38 or 357.

I am a big fan of the 10 mm for semi auto pistols and purchased this on for it's features (Single or double action, good capacity, very good function and feel) you can get ether the polymer or steel frame. (I chose the steel frame).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanfoglio_Force

I have been very happy with the pistol and have not had any malfunctions/misfires.

If the 10 mm is to much I have also had great luck and accuracy with the 9mm Walther
CCP (Concealed Carry Pistol).

J E CUSTOM

I like that you can change a few parts and have a practice gun in .22 and a protection gun in whatever other caliber you want.

Sure helps with familiarity of you weapon.

Thanks for all the replies!

Ron

If I carried a 10mm in bear country for protection I'd probably remove the front sights, so it didn't hurt as bad when the wounded bear shoved it up my arse

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.