Lightweight Hunter that can reach out at the range too.

Ha! I just happened to pick up 200 Lapua 6.5x284 about 30 mins ago. I think I'm either going to stick with this as my cartridge to build around, or I'm going to neck up to a straight .284.. not sure.

Do the Savage 6.5x284s come in long action or short action? If it comes in a long action I'd jump on one and build up as I go, like all my others.

Savage made the newer 6.5 LRH in Long Action. Good move as my short action 6.5 Model 12 doesn't allow me to remove a chambered unfired round safely. No problems with the 6.5 LRH in LA.

Savage made the newer 6.5 LRH in Long Action. Good move as my short action 6.5 Model 12 doesn't allow me to remove a chambered unfired round safely. No problems with the 6.5 LRH in LA.

Great! Thank you sir. Its always hard to get the same/correct info on Savages, even directly from them. But they sure do shoot. I wouldn't mind updating their website with more and correct info.

Last edited:
HAWK

The Sava in 6.5x284 will be a long action. I had a VLP that I converted to a DBM using the factory metal and a 300win mag, worked supper slick and fed those loaded real long 140s very nicely and gently.

I have had many LR cannons, anymore I am a 6.5x284 guy. I don't like heavy rifles or muzzle brakes, an especially don't like recoil...........

I am building a LtWt hunter as well. It is a parts gun. Stainless 6-lug Mark V, used 23" shilen #2 ss in a Medalist. Barrel has done 1/2moa on a M70, I expect it will still do the same when fitted.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts