too improve or not too improve, that is the question?

strombeckj

Here it is in a nutshell, I have a Krieger 6mm barrel on order for a planned 6-06 build. I am sold on the caliber as it will be used mainly for extreme long range PD's (500+ yards) yotes, deer and antelope. The plan is to shoot 70-85gr ballistic tips and 87 or 95gr VLD's for deer. Based on the bullet weight is it worth improving this round? I would like to hear your pro's and con's.
Thanks for your input.
JS

I really dont have any experience on this but I will give you my opinion. I think that a 25-06 is overbore for the caliber. So i believe that the 6-06 will be even more overbore for the .243 cal. I really dont think you would gain much if any velocity with the improved case. You may possibly gain a little with a bullet like the 115 but you said you wont be shooting bullets that big. I could be wrong on that one too. I am sure somebody will correct me but thats just my thoughts.

I dont know about the particular rd you are talking about but I have a 338/408 that used to be the improved version namely the .338 Snipe Tac. I also had a 22-243 AI. I did not see significant gains from either one of these. Certianly not enough to justify all the aggrevation that comes with the improved cases. It is my opinion that in this case, the price off eggs aint worth the wear and tear on the hens ***.

Here it is in a nutshell, I have a Krieger 6mm barrel on order for a planned 6-06 build. I am sold on the caliber as it will be used mainly for extreme long range PD's (500+ yards) yotes, deer and antelope. The plan is to shoot 70-85gr ballistic tips and 87 or 95gr VLD's for deer. Based on the bullet weight is it worth improving this round? I would like to hear your pro's and con's.
Thanks for your input.
JS

6mm/06 is way overbore! I seriously doubt you'll see 50 fps velocity increase over a 6mmAI (if even that), and a round like this won't be fun shooting P.D.'s. The round is good for about 3200 fps with 105 grain bullets at a max load. The 6/250AI will do 3100 fps with the 105 grain Amax with a lot less powder and a greater barrel life span
gary

I am thinking that the improved 06 case is not needed with the light bullets you mentioned. If you were talking 105-115 grn bullets...yes, improve it.

As mentioned above, even the standard 6-06 is quite overbore, but that's what it takes to get 3600'/sec with medium weight bullets. I shot a 220 Swift for many many years (55 grn bullets at 3600-3800'/sec). Shot about 5000 rounds through it before it wouldn't hit prarie dogs at 200 yds anymore. The 6mm AI is pretty hard to beat too.

One other thing, you might have your smith leave the barrel as long as possible if you go with the 06 or improved 06. minumum of 26", 28 would be better. A 24" tube probably won't give you near enough velocity to justify the 06 case capacity. My standard 25-06 shot 85 ballistic tips at 3600, but it had a 26" tube.

Last edited:
I am thinking that the improved 06 case is not needed with the light bullets you mentioned. If you were talking 105-115 grn bullets...yes, improve it.

As mentioned above, even the standard 6-06 is quite overbore, but that's what it takes to get 3600'/sec with medium weight bullets. I shot a 220 Swift for many many years (55 grn bullets at 3600-3800'/sec). Shot about 5000 rounds through it before it wouldn't hit prarie dogs at 200 yds anymore. The 6mm AI is pretty hard to beat too.

One other thing, you might have your smith leave the barrel as long as possible if you go with the 06 or improved 06. minumum of 26", 28 would be better. A 24" tube probably won't give you near enough velocity to justify the 06 case capacity. My standard 25-06 shot 85 ballistic tips at 3600, but it had a 26" tube.

It's a 1:10, rem varmint, that will be finished at 26" + break.

thanks for the input so far. It's all right in line with what i was thinking. Plus the dies are much cheaper for the non-imp!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.