Lightweight Hunter that can reach out at the range too.

hawk45

The plan - Gun I can sling up and walk with anywhere in the US but also enjoy on the range. I have so many specific purpose guns and they are mostly heavy, that I'd like a nice all-arounder I can grab for and know will be able to do anything.
Budget - Limited to about $700 max on the rifle. Have about $500 for optic.
Lightweight - Around 9lbs w/optic. 10lbs may be pushing it.
Universal - Hunt pretty much anything in North America, still have fun on the range. Max range for hunting = 600yds, for target 1200+
Low Recoil - I understand physics of a light gun and big caliber, but if need be, I'll add a brake to tame.
Magazine - prefer to have a magazine, but not end-all-be-all.
Action - Maybe long action to have more choices down the line for a rebarrel
Caliber - I reload so pretty much anything will work, but I prefer to stay away from ultra mags and wildcats that components are hard to find. Availability of components is critical. Calibers that come to mind are 30-06, 280AI, 300WM/WSM

Base rifles I've been tossing around : Savage and Tikka
Savage - I have a few Savages and all been good guns. I like that I can spin off a barrel and put a new one on at the house. Decent part selection. Don't care for the factory synthetic stocks, though they don't seem to harm accuracy.

Tikka - I have one in .223 and love it. Light weight, compact, super smooth bolt and nice trigger. Twists are a little slow for heavier projectiles which is a bummer and their only flaw. Not sure how their recoil lug stands up on magnums (if went this route). Even with the sporter barrel profile these seem to shoot 3-5 shot groups well from reports.. a big plus for when at the range (not hunting).

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Last edited:
The plan - Gun I can sling up and walk with anywhere in the US but also enjoy on the range. I have so many specific purpose guns and they are mostly heavy, that I'd like a nice all-arounder I can grab for and know will be able to do anything.
Budget - Limited to about $700 max on the rifle.
Lightweight - Around 9lbs w/optic. 10lbs may be pushing it.
Universal - Hunt pretty much anything in North America, still have fun on the range. Max range for hunting = 600yds, for target 1200+
Low Recoil - I understand physics of a light gun and big caliber, but if need be, I'll add a brake to tame.
Magazine - prefer to have a magazine, but not end-all-be-all.
Action - Maybe long action to have more choices down the line for a rebarrel
Caliber - I reload so pretty much anything will work, but I prefer to stay away from ultra mags and wildcats that components are hard to find. Availability of components is critical. Calibers that come to mind are 30-06, 280AI, 300WM/WSM

Base rifles I've been tossing around : Savage and Tikka
Savage - I have a few Savages and all been good guns. I like that I can spin off a barrel and put a new one on at the house. Decent part selection. Don't care for the factory synthetic stocks, though they don't seem to harm accuracy.

Tikka - I have one in .223 and love it. Light weight, compact, super smooth bolt and nice trigger. Twists are a little slow for heavier projectiles which is a bummer and their only flaw. Not sure how their recoil lug stands up on magnums (if went this route). Even with the sporter barrel profile these seem to shoot 3-5 shot groups well from reports.. a big plus for when at the range (not hunting).

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

I have a Savage 111 fcns in .308 w/accutrigger topped with a Nikon Monarch 4-16-50 bdc that can shoot 500+ yards and is under your weight threshold but going out to 1200 yards with a budget of $700.00 is going to be hard to do in my opinion. At least youre handloading so that will help. Good luck.

Yeah I know.. in a perfect world right. But really looking for if anyone has a similar setup and can share their experiences. I have tons of heavy bench/prone guns for ELR, but not many lightweight rifles other than my .22's and .223's.

my "lite weight" all around is rem. classic 6.5x55, leupold 6.5x20x40 with turrets.
use it for hunting, silhouette, and to 700 yd. "plinking" shoots .5moa with 142 SMK and rl-22. mild recoil, easy to load for, lite weight, AND under $1000.

You are asking "alot for alittle."

Here is what I would recommend.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/1-2-moa-complete-gun-package-1k-107615/

Ha! I just happened to pick up 200 Lapua 6.5x284 about 30 mins ago. I think I'm either going to stick with this as my cartridge to build around, or I'm going to neck up to a straight .284.. not sure.

Do the Savage 6.5x284s come in long action or short action? If it comes in a long action I'd jump on one and build up as I go, like all my others.

.280 Ackely Improved will kill deer out to 1,000, and target shoot out to 1,200...

It has almost identical ballistics to a 7mm RemMag, with less powder, longer case life, less recoil, long barrel life, etc...

But you will need a long action with a standard bolt face.

I am doing load work up and sight in on a 6.5x284 Cooper 52 today. 24" pencil barrel, nice and light even with a 2lb. 22X NXS. No brake. I hate it! I will gladly carry a few more pounds. This little LW sucker jumps around like a poodle with it's *** on fire.

Jeff

I am doing load work up and sight in on a 6.5x284 Cooper 52 today. 24" pencil barrel, nice and light even with a 2lb. 22X NXS. No brake. I hate it! I will gladly carry a few more pounds. This little LW sucker jumps around like a poodle with it's *** on fire.

Jeff
That's exactly why I like a little bit heavier barrel on my rifles. At minimum a Accumark contour.

I was surprised at how smooth my .338 WinMag shoots. For a very lightweight gun, it doesn't jump around very much. It was more of a pushing recoil (which I prefer of the 2), than a snappy recoil.

I wonder how the SF sporter barrle will be on that LW rifle, once I get it, and chamber it to .257 Wby... Got any experience Jeff? I know even in my Accumark the .257 Wby is a snappy little caliber, but very managable.

I am with you there. At least if we are talking any long range at all.

Jeff
Yep, I like my rifles to be dual purpose. Lightweight enough to toted around, but a stiff enough contour to accurately shoot LR with.

I think I might give Krieger a call to see if the can make me a 26" 5R Accumark barrel blank (black flutes and all) for my 700, in a .284 1:9, so I can use it for my .280 AI build....That would be the perfect setup for that caliber, IMO.

I think I might give Krieger a call to see if the can make me a 26" 5R Accumark barrel blank (black flutes and all) for my 700, in a .284 1:9, so I can use it for my .280 AI build....That would be the perfect setup for that caliber, IMO.

Go with a 8 1/2" twist. Those 195 Bergers will be here one day.lightbulb

Jeff

Go with a 8 1/2" twist. Those 195 Bergers will be here one day.lightbulb

Jeff
You really think 195's in a .280AI would be fine? I was thinking 180's would be tons of pressure as it is...But I trust your judgment. That might be a pretty nasty concoction... Loaded with some 7828 SSC. What you think?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.