Light wt long rangle rifle: what´s between 7WSM and 28Nosler?

Personally even though I love 7mm diameter bullets regardless of what cartridge it's fired from, the 300 win mag has served me VERY well on elk so out of those 3, I'd grab the 300 without hesitation. I'd rather have a 338 mag but the 300 with a 180 gr accubond drops mature bull elk just fine. If mostly for deer I'd grab the 28 Nosler, and if mostly for elk, and within 300-350 yards I'd grab the 35 Whelen or 9.3x74.

Thank you all for the replies. I have been out during weekend, so please, allow me some time to reply for all the info.

7mm stw it real close to 28 noslet

I'll second the nomination for the 7 STW. Mine shoots like a laser. Commercially available Brass and loaded rounds.

7STW got a Gradous built with a Borden Titanium, HTG Edge, 28" proof Sendero, Hawkins Bottom and Calvin Timney. Weights 6lb 13oz.
For sale if you want it 137 rds down tube.

My vote is for the 7mm stw 190 berger 2960fps.

7mm Weatherby mag. Great round

Thank you for the suggestion, but the STW or weatherby are far for the 2,5" case I was asking about.

You could do one of the short wildcats on the 416 case and get the performance you are looking for, but i have heard they are difficult to get to feed from a magazine. I dont know that firsthand it is hearsay on the feeding.
I think a 2,5" case based in the 404 instead of the 416 will feed great from a long action. Will double check if finally go the 416 route. Thanks for the imput!

Where the base of the Neck is located is what's important, then you add Your desired Neck Length. You've decided on the Projectile, I guess you mean the ELD-M? So you measure to the lowest point of the Bearing surface to the tip to determine true Projectile length and you keep this point above the base of the Neck for Reference. Once you determine Maximum OAL for your platform these factors give you a close approximation of maximum Cartridge Body Length.
There are already duplicate threads on the Blaser. With it's very long neck, it's actually a much shorter Cartridge then you realize. Once you factor in Costs of Custom Dies and Reamer is when the 28 Nosler and the 7mm Blaser begin to show great appeal AND dusty old Relic 7RM.

My Layman's version: Using 7-SAUM dies due to it's 30 Degree Shoulder it's far easier to final form on the Press using Cost Efficient Shortened 300 RUM Brass. The base of the 300 RUM Shoulder measures 2.387" hence the Brass Length of 2.38" Prior to fire-forming. This Weeks Name? "7mm-LIGHTNING".
You are totally rigth. I´m trying to built a well balanced rifle in a balanced cartridge (some case to load with 180 ELD_M or 180/195 bergers where they need to be, without magazine problems or huge jumps to lands...)

Last edited:
Look at the new 6.5RPM. Use that brass and neck it up to 28. It should be right at a 7mag in performance with no belt and no mag bolt face. Can we ask why you don't just build a 7mag.
Shep
Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion. The 7-6,5WBY RPM, as you said, should be "just" a 7 RM. I will built a 7RM rather than this one for the ease of gathering cases, dies etc etc.

Nothing wrong with the 7RM. I just want to go to a different route and trying to get a little more performance of a 2,5" case. Big fan of 7RM and 300WM (i´m not the kind of "don´t like belts" guy). :)

7wsm is a great option with re26. Not sure what bullet option you are wanting to run. I'm running 168 vlds@3200fps.
This is out of a long action. Wsm has large accuracy node as well.
As per my post, 180 ELD-M is the first choice. Can´t source RL26 in Spain. RL33 is produced by RS powder company, and I can get it as it´s original brandname "RS80". VihtaVuori powder also available here.

I guess it all depends on how much energy or what velocity you think is required to do the job. I think the most popular number for elk is 1500 foot pounds. All those short 7s have this to 7 to 900 yards depending on bullet. I seen someone suggested the 7 prc. Might be right in the middle of what you wanted.
Shep
Elk is -unfortunately- not in the menu.

I woul like to get a 180 gr bullet with 1800 fps remaining at 1000m (roughly 1100yd). But I can live with a little less... and will be happy with a little more. I´m focusing in going the best route in the standard long action rifle

Usually shooting between 2300 and 4000 ft elevation, btw

I've been researching this as well, what is availble "in between 7WSM and 28 Nosler?" I have been shooting a 6.5WSM in a long action with bullets seated out longer then what short action can fit in a mag, this is not ideal in a long action, but the long action Nolsers seem like they need an extended mag box too for utilizing the long heavy bullets, so I was really looking for something that was ideally suited for a standard length long action with capability to seat long bullets up out of powder column. My research lead me to the 7mm Blaser as well. This cartridge looks as though it was designed with standard length long actions and long bullets in mind, and brass for it can be found for $1.50 ea. To bad it is not more popular here, I think most shooters just don't know about it here yet. I don't have one yet but I like the looks of the case length, perfect length half way in between the typical short action cases and long action cases. It is certainly on my short list.

BT
we are in the same boat!! It´s somewhat weird that there are no "modern efficient" popular option that fit that bill... the venerable 7RM is great, but with the new WSM, NOSLER, RUM etc no cartridge fill that void!

Personally even though I love 7mm diameter bullets regardless of what cartridge it's fired from, the 300 win mag has served me VERY well on elk so out of those 3, I'd grab the 300 without hesitation. I'd rather have a 338 mag but the 300 with a 180 gr accubond drops mature bull elk just fine. If mostly for deer I'd grab the 28 Nosler, and if mostly for elk, and within 300-350 yards I'd grab the 35 Whelen or 9.3x74.
i agree with you, but there is no elk in the menu...

Have used my 7wsm a lot in africa out to just under 600 yds, and i have used 168 bergers. Used on many species including zebra, eland, kudu, wildebeast, nyala, All have had clean kills. 280 ai is another really great option if you dont need 7rum, lazzeroni type performance. 7mm dakota is also a great option. I just dont like belts.

I had a 7 Dakota built last year, I was having a hard time deciding between it and the 28 Nosler. After seeing brass prices and availability for both I haven't regretted my decision.

Thank you both for bring me to the Dakota. I missed that one, and honestly looks perfect for my purposes.

Can you let me know more about your builds? It´s easy to get reamers, dies and brass?

Thanks!

NONE of the shorts above have enough power and performance for clean kill on an elk beyond about 455 yards ,, you might get an occasional lucky hit, but not on a consistent basis ,,, I would look at some of the long action mags ,,, 7mm Rem mag at the very minimum ,,, on up to the 300RUM and Lazz Firebird/Warbird ,,,
bucket.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.