Light Rust on Stainless rifle...how to remove

It probably does not help much speculating how the barrel could become contaminated. It could be from the profiled......

The second question: For the same reason as above, you want to use a chemically pure citric acid and dissolve it in DI or distilled water, since water out a well or city water system has so much crap in it, including iron... Ideally use a glass container/bottle, since that is inert.

"Fruit" contains all sorts of stuff, including whatever the tree gets out the ground, so while it might be "natural" it is not "pure"...

Sorry I was just curious as how the contamination could happen. As far as pure citric acid, where can I buy it? When I googled it, vitamins came up haha

Where To Buy Food Grade Citric Acid | Bulk Apothecary

1lb should last a very long time. Same place will sell DI water, but I'm sure you can find a local source for that and avoid shipping charges. Usually the Napa store will have distilled water.

One reference:
http://www.harrisonep.com/stainless-steel-passivation.html

Passivation of stainless steel is the treatment of a surface with a mild oxidant intended to remove free iron and other foreign matter, for the purpose of improving corrosion resistance by enhancing the formation and structure of the material's naturally forming corrosion-resistant passive layer.
While not offering all of the benefits of electropolishing, chemical passivation will improve the corrosion resistance of stainless steel. The presence of exogenous surface contaminants may disrupt the formation of stainless steel's naturally corrosion-resistant surface layer. Surface contaminants, including grease, dirt, iron, and other metallic particles are inherent to the metal fabrication process. During a steel passivation treatment, the surface of a part is chemically treated by a mild oxidant. The chemical passivation treatment removes free iron and other foreign contaminants and promotes the formation of a chromium-rich corrosion resistant layer.
Harrison Electropolishing has performed stainless steel passivation treatments with excellent results since 1980. We have the capacity to passivate stainless steel components of all sizes at our facility or a job site anywhere in the world. We can perform passivation treatments with nitric acid or citric acid. Harrison Electropolishing will perform chemical passivation treatments in compliance with ASTM specifications or your industry or company specific chemical passivation standard.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.