how do l remove the rear iron sight?

soundwaves

how do l remove the rear iron sight? l have a ''heym sr 30'' and have just bought a nightforce nxs 8-32x56 for it but cant get the sunshade on the scope cause the rear iron sight blocks the way. there are 2 screws on the rear sight but eaven if l un screw them the sight wont seem to come off. please help me out. cause the gun will luck much better with the shades on

There could be a few reasons. Look to see if there is a dovetail that the sight sets in. It would be a matter of tapping the rear sight off with a hammer and punch. If no grove is found, then it may have been epoxied to the barrel. You may again have to tap on it a litte to knock it loose. You don't want to pound on this stuff with a 3LB. sledge, just light taps to see if things move. If nothing happens, then take it to a qualified individual that knows what they are doing.

Tank

It's almost certainly soldered to the barrel as well as screwed on. That is standard practice for express sights on premium big game rifles such as Heym.

After removing the screws, you could heat it with a torch until the solder melts. Then, it'll fall off easily. However, I highly recommend you leave it alone or take it to a competent gun smith.

It's almost certainly soldered to the barrel as well as screwed on. That is standard practice for express sights on premium big game rifles such as Heym.

After removing the screws, you could heat it with a torch until the solder melts. Then, it'll fall off easily. However, I highly recommend you leave it alone or take it to a competent gun smith.

I was kinda thinking the same thing, but didn't know for sure.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.