How to choose a rifle?

jtmoose

As I look through all the choices of rifles and cartridges it is overwhelming. Is there a structured way most of you do it?

My initial thought process is to narrow things down by:

1.) Magnum vs Standard (Magnum if range and/or quartering shots is an important consideration)
2.) Caliber (.30 seems the most available, but smaller has less recoil if that is an important consideration)
3.) Action length (short actions seem to have the most aftermarket support for stocks)
4.) Ease of modification.

For a bum shoulder elk hunter, it seems like a savage in 270wsm would fit the bill nicely. Is there a better way to make decisions like this?

Does a smaller 270 caliber make sense for a weight aware mountain rifle too? What makes for a better choice for a shorter barrel? Does a short mag burn faster? Does a brake make lightweight as much of a factor?

.......I also consider the style of hunting I will be doing, as well as a weight consideration for it......................

If your hunting style is very mobile then a lightweight .270 WSM could work well. How much total weight will your shoulder hold, and for how far?

If you're glassing clear cuts etc. with minimal walking, a heavier rifle to tame recoil opens up other calibers. However, the 270 WSM could be a choice in this scenario as well.

jtmoose

I figure out what animal I want to hunt and the range I expect to encounter the animal. Then I determine what bullet at what velocity is best suited to the animal/range. Then I pick the rifle that will put that bullet on the target at the required range and velocity. With the recent news from Hornady that bullets tips made of Delrin melt in flight, I have developed new interest in bullets that don't use Delrin in addition to the new ELD-X bullets from Hornady. But that is more of a detail and doesn't change the process of picking out a rifle.

That's the tough part. After realizing that the range can vary so much is hard to say. Most of where I hunt is <100yds but the parts that aren't short are 300+ yards. Also realizing that Elk have been hard to come by I want stack the deck in my favor.

jtmoose

I figure out what animal I want to hunt and the range I expect to encounter the animal. Then I determine what bullet at what velocity is best suited to the animal/range. Then I pick the rifle that will put that bullet on the target at the required range and velocity. With the recent news from Hornady that bullets tips made of Delrin melt in flight, I have developed new interest in bullets that don't use Delrin in addition to the new ELD-X bullets from Hornady. But that is more of a detail and doesn't change the process of picking out a rifle.

This is the way I go about. Knowing what bullet is important for getting a proper twist barrel to stabilize at your elevation.

You have to know the job to be done to get the right tool.

If you are looking for a one and done solution for 100yds to 1000yds, get a big 338 cal and put a brake on it. Better to have more gun than not enough.

If you can be honest with with your distance and game then take care of that need first.. maybe a short barrel .308, then get a big boomer next for your longer range hunting.

Sometimes, I think we get so caught up in extolling the virtues of a specific rifle or caliber, that we tend to forget our roots. Darn near all rifles and all calibers kill efficiently in the hands of a skilled marksman. We have it so good today, in terms of choices and money to spend on them, that we sometimes forget that the mountain man with his single shot 50 caliber Hawken rifle did just fine surviving - even thriving - in the untamed west.

For most of my grandfather' early life, he hunted with a sporterized 30-06. Later, after making friends with another Arizona hunter, Jack O'Conner, he commissioned a custom rifle in 270. He used this rifle until his passing.

Today, that rifle sits in the back of my safe. As I pull out all my various short and long range rifles from 17HMR to 338 Allen Xpress (tools that I simply cannot live without), I can faintly hear my grandfather chuckle as his words roll through my mind: "Beware the one gun man".

Whatever you choose, own it and learn to shoot with it. Knowing one rifle intimately will always stand you in good stead.

The way I recommend is,

1 = Decide what the largest animal you will probably hunt.

2 = look at the energy it should take to make one shot humane kills on that animal (Deer around
1000 ft/lbs +. Elk 1800 to 2000 ft/lbs)

3 = look at what range different cartridges will achieve this energy at a minimum and what distance
is the maximum for the needed energy.

4 = Look at the maximum distance you feel competent, you can hit the POA and see what cartridges will produce this energy. (At 3 to 400 yards there are many cartridges that will meet the energy requirements)

5 = Once you have decided on the cartridge, look at optimum bullet weight for velocity, energy and
trajectory.

6 = Rifle weight may be a consideration if you have to carry it a long way, light weight rifle may require a muzzle brake to minimize recoil.

There is no such thing as "Over Kill" but there is under kill.

So start with a cartridge that will do everything you want/need and go from there.

J E CUSTOM

jtmoose.......For a bum shoulder elk hunter said:
I keep coming back to this part of the question. A lot of good advice, and processes, but in the end this needs be addressed.

If an 8lb rifle is all you can carry, there is no joy in packing 9lb magums, with 3lb scopes.

If a 6mm causes pain, it gets tough to practice.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.