How to choose a gunsmith

midgetorama32

I have a question about selecting a gunsmith for my 338 project. The guy I have always used is an aquaintence of mine and I have known him for over twenty years. He's honest, very affordable and the wait time is not long. In addition, the three guns I've had him build for me have all shot pretty good. My current 300 WIN elk gun just shot a 2.805" group at 712 yards.

I guess what I am wondering is why I would choose anyone else. The reason I got to wondering this is because I have seen ads for custom guns where the going price is 2-3 times higher than what I have into my 300. Granted, there are a few more bells and whistles on them but it just doesn't appear that the additional cost is justified. Furthermore, the wait time for some gunsmiths seem to be a year or more.

Am I missing something here? Do I need to switch to a high profile builder for this 338 project?

Thanks.

For me the biggest thing I need from a smith is confidence in his ability, not on his part , but mine. If I have to pay a little more for some one I have faith in, I'll do it. If the price seems like a steal I have no problem with that either.

If you feel like your guy knows his stuff and builds quality rifles there really isn't any reason to change. If you're wondering if there is something better out there, make some calls, talk to some people, and see what impressions you get. No harm in that.

Chris

I have a question about selecting a gunsmith for my 338 project. The guy I have always used is an aquaintence of mine and I have known him for over twenty years. He's honest, very affordable and the wait time is not long. In addition, the three guns I've had him build for me have all shot pretty good. My current 300 WIN elk gun just shot a 2.805" group at 712 yards.

I guess what I am wondering is why I would choose anyone else. The reason I got to wondering this is because I have seen ads for custom guns where the going price is 2-3 times higher than what I have into my 300. Granted, there are a few more bells and whistles on them but it just doesn't appear that the additional cost is justified. Furthermore, the wait time for some gunsmiths seem to be a year or more.

Am I missing something here? Do I need to switch to a high profile builder for this 338 project?

Thanks.

A high profile smith is often not the one that actually builds the rifles ,he has people working
for him in some cases and they are not always as dedicated as he is to quality.

If you have a gunsmith that you like and produces good quality rifles then stick with him.

One of my worst experiences with a custom build was with One of the top rated gunsmiths
in the country (He is not on this site) and as I learned gunsmithing I could not believe the
lack of quality that this rifle had.

High profile builders of anything (rifles, knife,cars, ETC) can and do charge more than most
because of their name but the product may not be any better.

The reason most recomend one of these builders is because they have had good luck
with them and have not found one like you have.

There are some on this site that place the customer FIRST and that is one of the most
important parts of a quality build and a overall good experience.

Sounds like you have a winner and unless you just want a rifle with someones name that
will give you bragging rites stick with him because good ones are hard to find. And telling
him how well you like his work will go a long way in future builds.

Unfortunately the only way to find a bad gunsmith is to have him build a rifle for you.

I don't know of any bad gunsmiths on this site mainly because they would not last long
here without being exposed.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
If your smith lived near me I'd use him!

I don't have any near by that has the kind of record I'm looking for thus my stuff get ordered from out of town.:rolleyes:

I'm not a gunsmith, just a shooter like you. For what it's worth, I recently spent A LOT of money to build a rifle that would REALLY shoot and no matter what I do, it shoots poorly! From the description you gave of your smith and the way your rifle shoots, I would not only use him, I would buy him a Christmas present! Good luck with your next rifle and good hunting this fall......Rich

If you have faith in your current smith and he has not failed you, by all means use him again. Cosmetics are great, and we all love a pretty rifle, but in the end it will all ride on how the rifle shoots.

Elkoholic, you need to contact that smith and explain the situation with your new rifle, I would hope he will offer to fix the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.