light recoiling cartige for the old man!

I'm 57 and I personally resent your calling "Dad" an old man at 60-LOL

Sounds like using the Tikka as donor requires a short cartridge???

If you want long barrel life, go with a .308 win or the 7mm Rem.

With a 24-26" barrel both will do in up to large deer at long range.

To be just a tad different, assuming you or he handloads, I would go with the 6.5 creedmore or the 260 Rem Improved. The creedmore is essentially a 260 shortened and then improved. Using the 260 rem and then improving it will get you about 15-20% more powder room and much greater availability and flexibility for ammo, components and for those 140 grainers that I predict you will end up using.

Problem I see for you is weight

Mac sako hunter stock weighs about 2.25lbs
Action about 2lbs
That size barrel in 26 inches about 3lbs when deeply fluted
That scope is 1.25lbs
You're already up to 8.5 lbs with ammo, sling, scope mounts
(assuming he will carry bipod in backpack).

I would suggest going with a smaller diameter bbl of 24"
either with a brake or magna ported (I've shot both).
Deeply flute the barrel with six or eight flutes
Consider going to a 3.5-10 VX3--would lighten weight 6oz.
you would loose the AO though.

If you still run over weight wise, you could try, GADS!, deepending the bbl channel of the stock. Mac frowns on this, but the stock is solid there and you might shed .25 pounds.

Truthfully, am jealous. He should be proud to have a son like you.

i have a tikka 595 left hand 22-250 that i want to use as a donor rifle. I was thinking either 6.5 creedmoor w/ 130gr berger vld's or 7mm-08 w/ 140gr berger vld's. mcmillian sako 75 stock .

Well, if you are going to go custom, I would consider the 257 Rob AI or the 7mm08AI. Just a thought.
Duane

Yhe 6mm remmington for small to med size game and the 7mm mouser for elk and mule deer thy it youll like them .gun)

Have you considered single shots? They're usually ambidextrous. My Ruger 1-A in .243 has a 1:9 twist, 38.5" OAL, weighs around 9 lbs scoped, and feels lighter b/c of the slimmer receiver.

ok everyone here is an update. i talked to the old curmuggon over thanksgiving and....of course....he has to make me look like a fool all over again. what does he say when i ask about a cartrige he would like (of course after i kinda tell him what i like and why... 260, 6.5 creemmoor, 6xc) and the old fart just says "what seems a lot simpler and probably better for a lot of reasons is the 7mm-08 or a 243, i like the 243." Grrrrrr so i think im going to have to go (against my new and cool instincts) and get a 25" #3 luija contour benchmark barrel in 243 1-8" or so. he will like it. but he is still the old man so i will (just like always) do what he wants.

I'm 57 and I personally resent your calling "Dad" an old man at 60-LOL

Sounds like using the Tikka as donor requires a short cartridge???

If you want long barrel life, go with a .308 win or the 7mm Rem.

With a 24-26" barrel both will do in up to large deer at long range.

To be just a tad different, assuming you or he handloads, I would go with the 6.5 creedmore or the 260 Rem Improved. The creedmore is essentially a 260 shortened and then improved. Using the 260 rem and then improving it will get you about 15-20% more powder room and much greater availability and flexibility for ammo, components and for those 140 grainers that I predict you will end up using.

Problem I see for you is weight

Mac sako hunter stock weighs about 2.25lbs
Action about 2lbs
That size barrel in 26 inches about 3lbs when deeply fluted
That scope is 1.25lbs
You're already up to 8.5 lbs with ammo, sling, scope mounts
(assuming he will carry bipod in backpack).

I would suggest going with a smaller diameter bbl of 24"
either with a brake or magna ported (I've shot both).
Deeply flute the barrel with six or eight flutes
Consider going to a 3.5-10 VX3--would lighten weight 6oz.
you would loose the AO though.

If you still run over weight wise, you could try, GADS!, deepending the bbl channel of the stock. Mac frowns on this, but the stock is solid there and you might shed .25 pounds.

Truthfully, am jealous. He should be proud to have a son like you.

well if it makes you feel any better my dad still calls all his sons (39yo, 38 yo twins and me at 28) with authority "HEY BOY COME OVER HERE AND (insert a chore or something he doesnt want to lift) " then he picks up his coffee cup and giggles. All of my brothers and my friends (that are men) all do the same thing when he says that too, its pretty funny....when its not me!

ps-you are kinda old! maybe you should pass on all your good hunting spots so they will get put to good use!:D

You can cool up a 243 by Ackleyizing it, the 243AI is not something to sneeze at, especially if your set it up for the heavies it will have some authority!

Re: light recoiling cartage for the old man!

Can't go wrong either way .................. Old *arts know things .. - either cal would accomplish all that your looking for ..... unbelievable groups.

If you want him to enjoy shooting his new rifle FORGET the BRAKE. Since you are getting a new barrel how about a 6mm BRX no turn neck with a 1 in 8" twist shooting Berger 90 or 105 gr. VLDs. Almost no kick and about the same as a .243, but more accurate.

joseph

PS: Take a look at Brux Barrels.

Last edited:
If you want him to enjoy shooting his new rifle FORGET the BRAKE. Since you are getting a new barrel how about a 6mm BRX no turn neck with a 1 in 8" twist shooting Berger 90 or 105 gr. VLDs. Almost no kick and about the same as a .243, but more accurate.

joseph

PS: Take a look at Brux Barrels.

thats cool. i was between the 6xc and the 243. I think you can load the 243 win to all that my dad will want out of the long 6mm. i was thinking of 115, 105 berger hunting vld and 105 amax. should work equally well with coyote up to mule deer without changing your load. wouldnt mind trying some DTAC bullets in 115 but dont know how they perform on deer size game.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.