Building a LR Rifle for the old man (my dad)

midnightmalloy

I had a post on here about rebarreling my LH tikka 595 for some 6mm. but now its difficult to find parts for the build. I want to build my dad a coyote/deer gun and he is now recoil sensitive due to a bad shoulder. After going over what caliber and having many conversations with my dad what he would want, it has been set on the old 243 win. I wanted to make him a 6xc or 6.5x47lapua or 6.5 creedmoor but just like normal my dad says "what can any of those do that the 243 win cant? i know he is on the ball and now he is set in the caliber so no matter what any of us say or argue its going to be a 243 win! now i need the parts to secretively build him a custom rifle ( he has never had a custom of his own so I want to build him one, 6 kids takes a tool). And we are both left handed. now all i can afford, and magically what my dad has come to like for a build is a savage action (im a single dad in college after being honorably discharged from the navy). Now the question is for a long range build should i use a short or long action? i can get a new stainless savage short acton for $375 in LH but would have to spend almost $100 more for a long action! is it worth it to spend the $100 more for the long action? i want to load for him 105gr berger hunting bullets and hornady 87 gr vmax's. is the COAL with the 105 bergers too long for a short action? do i need a custom reamer? i will get a benchmark barrel but should i rent or find a custom reamer for the short action? i want it magazine fed. and suggestions or heads up on pricing deals would be appreciated. He's an old fart (60yo) and deserves it. if you are an old fart too then maybe you can help me out:D

The 6.5x47 would be my choice. I must say i'm a big fan of the 6.5. If your father i so set on a 243, maybe go with a 243AI. I have a friend who is an avid prairie dogger, and has all his varmit guns with muzzle brakes. I asked him why. He told me he likes to see the bullet impact. Maybe something to think about.

I am unsure of the exact action length of the Savage short action, so I cannot comment there. But I do have a custom 243 Win. built on a Rem model 7 action. As I understand it, the Rem model 7 action is just a pinch shorter than the Rem 700 short action. I shoot the Berger 105 gr. exclusively and the feed reliably from the magazine with great accuracy. I suspect you should have no problems with the Savage.

Note: Your question might also get a quicker response on the Savage Shooter website.

http://www.savageshooters.com/

A 6BR would also be a good choice. They are really accurate and good barrel life and use a lot less powder to get there. Make sure you get 8 twist to shoot the heavier bullets. Matt

I've put together a couple Savage's now, so I would say the SA will do the trick. It will also depend on how you seat the bullets. If you go to the lands, then you might run in to some issues, but if you run them about 15 to 20 off the lands you'll be okay. If you can score a stainless for $375, jump on it. Call Stockade Stocks and get one of his price saver stocks. I've seen one and there is not a whole lot of finish work required. He builds specifically for Savage actions. He also has bottom metal and clip that will fit the action if you want a DBM and not the internal. EGW base base is $40, and Burris XTR or there Signature Z rings will due nicely. Owned both and liked both. Vortex Viper, Bushnell 5x15 Elite, or Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 will top it off nicely. Just some thoughts for a nice budget build. Make sure you get the heavy recoil lug at brownell's.

Tank

Recently dealt with this issue on a 260 build and had the gunsmith chamber it with a short throat. Shooting the long bullet you may give up a little velocity. A good way to go is to buy the action then load a round with the long bullet seated to the depth limitations of the magazine and tell the gunsmith you want it to touch the lands. That's how my sons was done and it works fine.

+1 old fart for 243 Win for your dad

Make sure it's the right twist. (1:8" I believe)

I agree with Pablo too.

yea you old farts are all sticking together!:D but here is the plan for the build since he wants to reach out to 500 but not all the weight of a big rig.
LH savage center feed short action
25" #3 contour benchmark barrel
DBM
Mcmillan m40a1 stock in some tan swirl pattern
I am going to put it together, pillar and stress free bed the action
i want to put the new (not in stores yet) vortex viper LR 4-16x44 w/ zero stop
20moa 1pc bases and probably burris rings. I want the stainless bead blasted real dull too.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.