Leupold Zero Point Boresighter = Frustrating

crowell33

Has anyone ever used one of these?

I just bought this thing to sight my Vortex scope, and I'm having a wee bit of problem. Then again, it could just be me, too.
smile.gif

Take a look at the picture. I followed the directions to a "T" and got the Zero Point centered in the scope. However, when looking through the scope at the grid to align the crosshairs, it's saying I have to move the windage 110 clicks. When I do that, you can plainly see the crosshairs are "off." Below is the picture after I've moved the crosshairs in-line with the grid. As you can see, it's not right.

Any ideas? Anyone ever used one? I though maybe my scope might be off or something, but I checked the level on the top and the side and it's definitely straight.

b8a2be67.jpg

Your scope appears canted too, something that will adversely impact a long range shot....

I've had the opportunity to get a Leupy unit before but always passed. It just appears to me to be too cumbersome. I use a caliber specific cartridge laser and that just gets me on paper, the range sight in will always be the final step. I look at any bore sighter as just a convenience in saving a few rounds and on a bolt action (removable bolt), it's a simple matter of marking a wall out about 10 or 15 feet with cross lines, pulling the bolt the bolt and sighting the cross lines through the bore (with the firearm in a gun vise)(I use a Tipton myself) to level the firearm, then adjusting the scope to the cross lines (so long as your better half lets you mark a wall, that is....:)

First off, you need to level the scope on the firearm and I'm not saying this to be a smart a**..... They way I do that is I use a precision level across the rail with the firearm secured in the Tipton, moving the firearm to level (center) the bubble in the vial. Then I mount the scope in the lapped and aligned rings. place the level on the upper turret (carefully and being careful not to move the firearm in the gun vise) and rotating the scope in the mounts until the bubble is again centered. That aligns the scope's horizontal cross hair with the firearm, parallel. Takes some time because you not only have to do the alignment but set the eye relief and torque the rings, without moving the optic.

The bore sight just gets you close, it never takes the place of a bench sight in, just saves you some ammo at the range.....

Finally, I don't care for the Leupy, too cumbersome for me. I like to load a dummy, caliber specific laser pointer and do the rough site in that way.....

I'm sure there are other methods out there, that's just how I do it and it may or may not be the most efficient.

Go to Articles section-Nov.2011, Perfect Scope mounting, Darrel Holland. This will help get you up to speed.The vertical or plumb element is typically more important in LR, as reticule is used for holds and dial up, theres another article also, but after plumbing, you range verify on a plumb line, that the scope shoots and tracks, dial down 10, and up 20, shoots need to be on line to track at distance, Tere are finer points to this also.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.