Leupold Scope Warranty Service

Just dial them up and down for a while... you'll see why! Returning to zero... That's where the issues have been determined!

FWIW!... I have about a dozen Lupy's that have held zero if I never moved the turret!
I have one VX6-HD and three VX-5HD's. This is the first that I have to send back.
But... I've read of other situations, where most of the "send back scopes" have been the ones that get dialed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!
If that is your experience who is to say you a wrong. My experience with several 1" silhouette scopes and several VX3i LRP and a VX6-HD for hunting and silhouette is they dial up and down just fine. Been dialing up in matches, PRS & silhouette, practice sessions and hunting for years and 1000's of rounds & still going strong. I use an inch pound wrench when mounting my own scopes, do not abuse my equipment and do not have any magnums, though some think an 06 kicks like a magnum. Makes me start to wonder about the consistency of assemblers at Leupy or the variability in the quality of their components. How to explain the such big differences in shooters experiences.

I've used Leupold scopes for 60+ years and never had a single problem. I currently have six Leupolds on rifles and on my way to shoot two of them today. This thread has me wondering about the quality issues many are reporting.
Yeah, to have some one off issues, seems normal. Someone who has issues with all their stuff….. definitely can't ignore the fact there will be failures if enough product is on the market. I won't vortex as general rule due to my experience with failure rate. I can see someone having that experience with leupold, even if it seems like an anomaly

Used to have several dealings with Leupold service department. Well trained busy department. However after 3 reticle failures very cautious with any manufactures builds with wires.
wires? They used etched glass.

I can't say enough good things about leupolds customer service. Had a last gen VX6 3-18 before the HD on my 300 win hunting rifle that was defective. Wouldn't hold a zero for nothing. Sent it in 3 times and they rebuilt it 3 times. After it just wasn't fixed they replaced it with a VX6HD 4-24 at no cost! I felt bad due to the cost difference. I did offer to make up the difference but they said it wasn't an issue. I have several leupolds and a nightforce with that one having the only issue. Fast turn around (about two weeks) and free shipping. They did take 5 weeks to ship my new scope but they just didn't have any to offer. Just my experience with them and figured I'd share, It's more scope with all the functions than I'll ever need and the only optics I'll buy from now on. Thanks for reading!

Ok…
I got my VX5HD back from Leupold today and immediately opened the box to see the results of their findings.
The worksheet states that no problems were found and the erectors dialed up and down correctly with 40-43 moa in all directions from optical center.

So …now I'll remove my Burris Verracity that I replaced the VX5HD with for poi testing before sending it off.

I may shoot a 3 shot group with the Burris before removing it and another after installing the VX5HD in the same rings.

Hopefully it is all my fault!!
We shall see!!

Ok…
I got my VX5HD back from Leupold today and immediately opened the box to see the results of their findings.
The worksheet states that no problems were found and the erectors dialed up and down correctly with 40-43 moa in all directions from optical center.

So …now I'll remove my Burris Verracity that I replaced the VX5HD with for poi testing before sending it off.

I may shoot a 3 shot group with the Burris before removing it and another after installing the VX5HD in the same rings.

Hopefully it is all my fault!!
We shall see!!
Do a box or tall target test. Might as well verify. Most people never do it, but your tracking down a problem.

Yeah, to have some one off issues, seems normal. Someone who has issues with all their stuff….. definitely can't ignore the fact there will be failures if enough product is on the market. I won't vortex as general rule due to my experience with failure rate. I can see someone having that experience with leupold, even if it seems like an anomaly

wires? They used etched glass.
Also had great experience with Leupolds for decades and decades. "Used etched glass" ask them how many models used etched now. Not to say all my Bender, NF and March all have etched. May be lame but more confidence when I can buy etched. No amount of super service makes pulling and reinstalling pleasant.

I learned rangefinders are not covered!! I sent one back 3 or 4 years ago when the display went south. I got an e mail back saying the rangefinder was not covered under their warranty, but that they would ship a new model (upgrade) that was significantly better than the one I sent to them for repair at a very favorable cost. I replied back that that was acceptable as the new models had features that I liked. when I received the replacement, the bill attached was as much or more than what I could purchase the new model for at multiple retail stores here in Reno. I have probably 15 of their scopes on my rifles and slowly swapping out older models for newer ones when I can get favorable prices on the internet. I have had minor issues with many regarding tracking issues, but once sighted in, they have held zero perfectly on hunts. But, I have found the 30 MM tubes to be helpful for my 70+ year old eyes.
I had he same thing happen with a Leupold rangefinder. The screens black out. Short warranty coverage and they don't make repairs to there rangefinders. I like there rifle scopes but I'll Never consider one of there rangefinders. It's a common problem that they have had for many years and they haven't fixed the design flaw.

In 1996 I bought a new-in-the-box Leupold 4.5-14x Tactical (with target knobs) Mil-dot reticle scope as a birthday present for a son.
I mounted it on his surprise 700 VS Carbine .223 Remington.
I was going to bore-sight it that Monday and we were leaving Friday for a hunting trip. I planned to surprise him with it on the hunt.
I turned the knob on the elevation turret and the ENTIRE TURRET moved. QC had missed that.

I called Leupold and had the pleasure of speaking with Garth Kendig in Customer Service. He shipped a replacement scope OVER NIGHT to me and I put the defective one in snail mail to ship it back.

The new one arrived and was installed and Thursday night my gonna-be-14-on-this-trip son, at my direction, slid a scoped Sporter Match HBAR into a soft case for the hunt, then went to bed.

I replaced the AR with his Leupold/Remington combo. You should have seen his face when he pulled that combo out of the AR case the next day on a prairie dog shoot! He had been longing for the 700VS 20" Carbine he had seen in the magazines, but knew I couldn't afford it at the time. I had sold another of my scope rifle combos to make his dream come true. Leupold CS made it happen when unforeseen circumstances arose!

In March 2024 we had -32* weather and the 1994 vintage Leupold 12-40x60mm Spotting Scope that I keep in my pickup suffered a failure of the glue joint that holds the variable power erector lens assembly. It managed to become a loose object inside the body and damaged both mirrors and the interior of the Objective lens.
I received an RMA and sent it in for repair.
It arrived at my home in under 20 days, including shipping travel both ways, repaired good as new. No Charge.

I love my Leupold scopes.

Have had good Leupold service just need it a lot, when I was gunsmithing at any given time there was someone sending one in because I found their accuracy issue was their Leupold not their barrel. I personally will run open sights before a Leupold!

If that is your experience who is to say you a wrong. My experience with several 1" silhouette scopes and several VX3i LRP and a VX6-HD for hunting and silhouette is they dial up and down just fine. Been dialing up in matches, PRS & silhouette, practice sessions and hunting for years and 1000's of rounds & still going strong. I use an inch pound wrench when mounting my own scopes, do not abuse my equipment and do not have any magnums, though some think an 06 kicks like a magnum. Makes me start to wonder about the consistency of assemblers at Leupy or the variability in the quality of their components. How to explain the such big differences in shooters experiences.
I have been an exclusive user of Leupold scopes for several decades. In that time span, I have owned and used at least 30 scopes
Many were fixed power [mainly 6x42], but plenty of Vari-X 2, Vari-X3, VX-3, VX5 HD and several high power fixed target scopes.
I returned two for repairs [one my fault, one a broken erector spring] Here in Canada, the turnaround time has been very good.
I use a 24X on my rimfire silhouette rifle, and it gets dialed plenty...never an issue. My experience has been very positive. Eagleye.

All that I read from above pretty much affirms my faith in Leupold Scopes. I've had nothing but Leupold scopes for over 50 years and counting. That is some 25 or more and still have them. Up to 3 months ago, I've had a total of ZERO cause for repairs. They work like their supposed to all the time, every time. That's **** impressive to me. My one and only issue has been on a recent 6XHD Red Dot 4 x 24. Wonderful scope. Now I have 4 of them on different calibers for Varmint shooting. The one issue was that the Red Dot did not adjust from high to low intensity . Just stayed high image. Called them up, sent it back, they fixed it that day and returned it fixed. Wasn't gone long enough to even miss it. After 47 years in the Manufacturing Business I'm a believer that the 'Overall quality of any Manufacturing concern is defined by the way and manner it handles its Warranty issues." With that being said, Leupold Scopes are in class by themselves.

Well... I had a VX-5HD that went wacky so sent it to Leupold for repair.
They immediately sent back an RMA number to return for repair.
Upon arrival I received an email saying expect 8 weeks for the repair or reply.

Not throwing rocks!... Understand this!...I'm completely OK with that if they repair or replace it since it's not needed for some time and I know Leupold will stand behind their product!

Anyhow... I'm wandering what your service times have been with Leupold.
I have a couple of friends who have sent scopes back and had communication with Leupold CS or returned within 2 weeks.
I guess times have changed with everything and this should come as no surprise.

Just curious...
Thanks
Wait and see how long it actually takes

This is an interesting thread.

The folks that have sent stuff back and remain loyal remind me of medical malpractice. Malpractice suits occur far more when the doc has bad bedside manner. Docs that are quacks but have good bedside manner incur less malpractice claims.

So…Leupold and Vortex run a model of good customer service trumps good products. It works for them obviously.

This is an interesting thread.

The folks that have sent stuff back and remain loyal remind me of medical malpractice. Malpractice suits occur far more when the doc has bad bedside manner. Docs that are quacks but have good bedside manner incur less malpractice claims.

So…Leupold and Vortex run a model of good customer service trumps good products. It works for them obviously.
You are missing the fact a great many who posted have used many Leupolds over many, many years and never had one break. For those that have had one break, the service has generally been exemplary.

There is no such thing as a scope that NEVER breaks, unless of course you can name one that fits the never breaks category. I would love to hear who you think is a bullet proof scope.

Last edited:

Recent Posts