Leupold PRW rings ??

Waynard

Hi Fellas, so I went to this large guns & shooting store here in OK. City next to I40 and their in store gun smith told me that the Leupold PRW rings would fit on picatinny rails. Long story made short. No,, they don't fit "tight". When I confronted their gun smith he told me "I put lots of them on rifles all day." So, if your one of them fellas that had this gun smith install one of these PRW rings on your picatinny rail for your rifle you better check it out. And I'm not knocking Leupold rings they make some of the best stuff for rifles.

I've never seen the bosses on the btm of the rings fit snug into the grooves on a pic rail if both are made to Mil spec. I have both Nightforce bases and rings and without measuring I would guess the lug in the ring is .030 smaller width than the groove in the base. I saw the same thing with both Leupy and Weaver rings/bases.

WapitiBob, Check out MurphyPrecision.com they make rings and bases to some tight tolerances. I should have checked them out before going to the big store guys, it would have saved me some time and aggravation.

I mounted a scope last week with a weaver picatinny base and Leupold prw rings. No problem on fit.This is on a .308.

The tolerance isn't the problem. Block tolerance on Nightforce parts is 3 place = +-.0001. The problem is the spec they build to.
A Leupold QRW base has a .150 slot and a Leupold PRW ring has a .132 lug. My Weaver rings have a .128 lug. A 1913 spec rail has a .206 slot. If they build a ring lug to fit the 1913 spec it won't fit anything but a spec rail so they make the lug to fit the Weaver/Leupold slot width. A Weaver Rail has a slot width of .180.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.