Leupold MK4 8-25x TMR

First 2 pics are my scope reticle, the 3rd is a picture of the TMR reticle from Leupolds website, 4th is the scope box of which it came in. I'm old, so excuse my terminology if it's not up to date now, call it what you want, come ups, MOAs, dialing, or what have ya, you get the point, all the same ****...

I didn't get the scope to shoot 2000 yards on 12.5x power, kinda defeats the purpose of having a 25x magnification...But yes, you're right, I "could" go that route, since it is 2nd FP, but I dont feel I should have to. I feel they should put the same TMR reticle in every scope as advertised, and not just whatever models they choose. If that was the case, I would have went with a NF. If anyone wants a basically new 8.5-25x MK4 for $1000 I'd gladly sell it for what I paid for it 2 months ago and go get a NF.

I love everything about the scope, except for the fact it doesnt have the 10 MIL hash mark on the bottom post. It's clear all the way through up to 25x, eye relief is great, the M1 dials track great and easy to read. It only has 70 total MOA adjustment, which isnt a whole lot, and actually 20 MOA less than the VX3 LR 6-20x I took off that has 90, so I'm not to sure how far I will be able to get out to just by dialing. I was able to get to 1400 yards with the VX3 LR 6-20x with my 7-300 win mag and the 162g AMAX at 3150fps, with a 300y zero and a 20 MOA base. I am now shooting the 180g ELDMs at 2975fps and the same 300y zero. Should still get me out as far as I need to go for hunting which I limit myself to 1200 yards in perfect conditions. The mile and 2000 yards I wanted to do would just be for fun and stretch the rifle some...

IMO you'd been better off with a scope with more than 70 MOA elevation adjustments. But you could have your scope work if you get a 35 moa base and everything lines up close to perfect. If everything lines up right you'll be right around the elevation limits of your scope at 2000 yards. Good luck.

I think they switch to 5 mil of hash because of the magnification, they become 10 if u dial it to half

I wonder if you'd be able to see 10 mils at the higher magnification anyways. I kind of doubt it.

Just thinking out loud here...Call the Leupold custom shop and give them your specific requirements. If they can do it, then how much $. Compare that to selling what you have at a loss + the purchase of a NIB NF. unless you can find a used NF some where. All the best! LP

Another option is to look at 2000 yards at 12.5X and see how it looks for you. I recently got a SWFA fixed 10X and been glassing a hillside from my backyard at 1.3 miles. It was not mounted on a rifle yet so I checked it in all kinds of light, it seemed fine to me. And your glass is much nicer than mine so you might be surprised.

So I'm not sure what you mean by not being to see the 10 MIL hash at the "higher" magnification. On a 2nd FP scope, the reticle size doesnt change whether it's on 8x or 25x, so that's a moot point...You cant see it on 8x or 25x...And like I've already said and showed, the picture I posted earlier was on 8x. The outer edge of the scope posts is only appears to be 7 MILs at best, so theres no way you would ever see them in this particular scope. I guarantee for a FACT the 4-14x MK4 TMR with M1 dials has the 10 MIL hash mark. All they need to do is go find one in their factory and have a look see for themselves, it's not rocket science. If you can see it on 14x on the 4-14x model, then why couldn't you see it on 14x in the middle of the power range on an 8-25x, or on 8x for that matter? Makes absolutely no sense. A TMR reticle should be just that, a TMR reticle. I didn't know there were different variations of the TMR reticle. Here is another picture to further validate my point, clearly shows 10 MIL hash Mark's on the 8-25x TMR reticle from Midway USA website for the scope, which comes from Leupolds reticle substensions. Pretty clear to me...
Screenshot_20200707-091002_Chrome.jpg
Kinda like false advertising if you really want to know how I feel about it...

Your picture of the reticle looking through the scope pretty much makes me question whether you could see a 10 mil hash mark. Leupold's picture on the box doesn't really matter to me. It's clear to me the reticle was 5 mils.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.