leupold mk4 8.5-25

pongnukl

I currently have rem 700p in 300 ultra mag that has been altered to 16 lbs, mk4 rings and bases, mk4 16x scope and a vais muzzle brake. Thinking of buying a 8.5-25x50 mk4 but don't have any experience with variable scopes. I shoot from 100 to 800 metres. what are your opinions of this scope and will it serve me better than my current fixed power scope?

8.5-25 is alot of power for only shooting out to 800 metres. If it is only for the range, then fine, but if it will also be used for hunting, the low end at 8.5 is too high IMO. I would look more at 4.5-14 set-up. Mark 4 is very nice....

I like the external adjustments and the price between the isn't much. I know it's alot of magnification for 800m but at this point in time I'm not 100% confident in shots beyond this range but in the future it's definately in the plans. I thought about the 6.5-20x50 mk4 as I know it will be adequate but I want one I won't have to upgrade when my ranges extend. It is currently uses as a 50/50 target/hunting rifle.

You start getting a lot of mirage at the higher mags, so even if you have it that doesn't mean it will work well for you all the time. I think you will find the 6.5-20 will do very well for you, even well beyond 800 yds. If you really want higher mag, try looking at Nightforce scopes. They have a scope that goes down to 5.5 and up to 22, which covers a wide range of applications for both hunting and target shooting.

I'm Real happy with my 8.5-25x50 VX-III. I see no reason to get a lesser power scope, no reason to limit your magnification. After all its a variable power. Never know you might need it.

I'd have to agree with Flybuster there, no reason to limit the magnification because of the range. I have an 8.5-25 VX III LRT and have no complaints. I usually have it set on maximum magnification all the time, whether shooting 100yds or 1000yds, except for low light conditions.

I traded my 8-25 for a 6.5-20 for a hunting rifle. The 8 was a bit high at the low end (for me). I have been very pleased.

"After all its a variable power. Never know you might need it." Works for the low side too.

~z

bout ready to trade my 8-25 LRT for a Conquest 6-20 with Mil Dot.I am about sick of having to move my head back and forth below 12 or over 20 power.

[ QUOTE ]
bout ready to trade my 8-25 LRT for a Conquest 6-20 with Mil Dot.I am about sick of having to move my head back and forth below 12 or over 20 power.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know exactly of which you speak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mines not the MK4 but the Vari-X III LR/T,,and the eye relief sux,it moves at least 2 inches from 8 to 25 making it impossible to set up to use the whole range without moving your head ,which messes me up bad at range.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.