Leupold MK4 6.5-20 M5 ?

6.5shaggy

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? 6.5-20x50 er/t m1 style M5 turret ffp, not the new locking model. I've been using an IOR fixed 10 and don't want to give up glass quality but need more magnification past 1000. I would also like custom knobs eventually witch the IORs don't have. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

I have been using mine since spring bear, and I like the scope. I have M5 and TMR reticule. So drops are same as hold overs, I find the optics clear, taking it speed goat on Thursday

Shaggy,

I have the new Locking Turret model w/TMR reticle. This scope rocks, say what you will about the M1 model (I have one of those too)... completely different beast, i can't give any info on the "standard" M5 sorry. If you want my .002, spend the extra $$$ & pick up the locking turret model.

Last edited:
I've had the scope you are asking about for several months and it's holdin up pretty well. For some reason I go through scopes on a pretty regular basis. I had it mounted on a Barret M107 and it took quite a beating from recoil and bouncing around in a HMMWV. Now it's on my .338 Edge. When I did an initial check the adjustments were 1% off. The TMR reticle was spot on. I had an IOR 3-18 FFP on it a while back and will say that even though the Leupold glass is good, the IOR glass is great. I haven't had a chance to look through the 34mm locking turret Leupold but will be getting them issued in a couple weeks on our new XM2010's.

I like this scope but have to admit that if I wasn't "stuck" with choosing a Leupold I would have went with a NightForce. Sorry Outlaw but I can't see spending that much on a Leupold... Maybe when we get them in I might change my mind.

No apologies necessary Bravo, I bought one because I wanted one. My life doesn't depend on it, just my pride:D. If &/or when one of my 6 or 7 leupys fails I'll start looking other directions. I do admit the glass of my Nikons was superb, but the eye relief sucks (not to mention 1/8 moa clicks), my Zeiss is a fantastic piece of glass but no turrets on mine....lol

As stated, I have two MK4's, the first one I may part ways with do to the M1 knob & TMR reticle (or i'll have the knobs replaced). The locking turret FFP is staying on my 338RUM, I have a LOT of testing to do to find out if it truly is as good as my first impressions, or if "it's just another Leupold..." :D

Bravo, if you get the time, I would have much interest in a review on the Locking Turret Leupy from your end.

OP, the custom turrets is a pretty good selling point on the Leupy as you can get them from either Leupold or Kenton. But we all get along w/o them too... if you shoot in multiple altitudes, it may be necessary to utilize different knobs or know the dope change, which in my opinion, defeats the point of a custom knob. The FFP is taking some time to get used to, I do like it for sure, but this is my first & it's kinda funky to get used to.

Last edited:
Guys,
Thank you so much for your input. Bravo thank you so much for your service, and please let us know about the xm2010s. I use a tactical scope because I want to, not because I have to. I have a younger friend, who just got out, that was U.S.M.C. scout/sniper in Iraq and Afganistan, and I am truly humbled by all who served.
I just have a 6.5-284 for hunting and my IOR 10x is simply amazing out to 1000, and has held zero for the past 3 years no problem. I don't baby my equipment but I'm not in a battle zone either. But now I'm extending to 1300 and out and 10x is a little lacking. I was just wondering if Leupolds glass had improved any from the Mark 4 I had 4-5 years ago, or should I stay with IOR or maybe a Nightforce. I do alot of dialing up and down in practice but I am picky about quality glass, will a NF a disapointment behind the IOR glass?

Shag

Outlaw,
Got word today that our rifles didn't ship, somebody screwed the pooch. They won't come in for several more months. Might have to do a review from Afghanistan.:D

Bravo 4,

That must have been some pooch screwin! Several months? wow.... no worries, you didn't need to train with it anyway right? I've been beating on mine a little bit as time is limited during hunting season, i've only had it out on 2 or 3 sessions so far with acceptable reliability. I am still testing so I can't say for sure that this is in fact better than the standard Mk4.... be safe over there & I sincerely thank you for your service.

Here is a pic (& a poor one at that) of the MK4 M5-A wearing ARC rings, next to a 1" Nikon Monarch 6.5-20:

Attachments

• MK 4 M5 vs 1in Nikon.jpg
    MK 4 M5 vs 1in Nikon.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I really like the Leupold M5. I will also be testing out a Locking Turret unit.

Mike @ CST

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

When you get a vid of the Locking Turret model make sure to throw it up, Lowlight has been working on one for quite a while.

thanks,

Mike,

When you get a vid of the Locking Turret model make sure to throw it up, Lowlight has been working on one for quite a while.

thanks,

I will do that. We no longer have an in house video guy work for us so it takes longer to get videos done.

Mike @ CST

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.